Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Steelhead?

Default American Steelhead?

I know this is a FF board but I had a question. I caugt this " Steelhead?" last night while throwing plugs for striper in the American but I'm not sure if it is a Steelhead or a big native rainbow. I only ask because it was so thick and wide...I am not used to steelhead being thick. It had its Adipose Fin which I guess could mean they missed it at the hatchery or it is a wild fish. Are there native rainbows in the American and do they grow this large? P.S. I released it after this brief photo...

Awsome fish there Ripdlip! Way to go!

That looks like a Fatty Steelhead, enourmmous belly on that fish.

How did it fight

The whole board would like to know!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Summer run Steelhead -

A rare creature , hope it did ok on the release .

( a PLUG rod ??!? What were ya thinkin' ??) :P

David

Well, I thought I had hooked into a jet boat heading downriver! Really had a good time throwing the old plugs around..sometimes you just have to, right David? I did manage to catch one other steelhead and several nice stripers...alot of fun.

[/url]

I hear ya , Rip ...

I almost broke down and got out the surf gear when the flows were at 12,000 CFS . I still keep all of my spinning gear and Rapalas , etc. , in working order .

But .... I'm afraid of what would happen to me if one of the board members saw me ... , given the amount of raggin' I've shared w/ my fellow flyrodders

It's ALL good (nice Stripe , by the way !) . David

Nice catch. That looks like a native steelie. There really is no torout population in the American just half pound steelies throughout the year. Not atypical to catch a summer run fish like that. They are few and far between. Two years ago i floated from sunrise to goethe and landed three fish over 22" in augustand they were all wild fish. Definately not half pounders in my opinion. The largest fish i taped at 27" and about 8 lbs. Nice and fat like yours. They are in there but just hard to target this time of your because there are not a lot of them.

Any guess on how long it was? Looked really heavy and i'm sure put up a great fight.

Jason Hartwick

ripdlip, i was just curious where on the river you caught those steelies. They seem to occupy certain areas and water in teh summer. At least from what i have experienced.

Jason Hartwick

Well, I would guess her lenght at 25" to 26" and her weight to be around 6lbs to 7lbs. I can tell you that she was very aggresive, I was rippin that plug through the water very fast. I caught her in the Sunrise area. This is a picture of the other steelie I caught doing the same thing on the same day. By the way, all these fish were released unharmed and in good, no, great condition.

Thanks ripdlip. Must have been fun. Just shows you that those steelies are aggressive and chasing smolts. I cant wait to get back and hopefully hook into a few.

Jason Hartwick

Where were you?

That is the fastest Steelhead/Rainbow I have ever seen in 40 years out of the Lower American River.

Could be a Rainbow Trout that came over the Nimbus Dam?

And thanks for the great photos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........