Thread: Deer Creek report

Default Deer Creek report

Adam & I fished Deer Creek before we headed to Almanor for the Hex hatch. We were both excited to fish a smaller stream, especially something that required a bit more effort to reach.

See, neither of us shaved before we went out.

Deer Creek is a medium sized freestone creekish river, with exceptionally clear water, and exceptionally small trout.

Here's one view.

And here's another.

We managed to pick up plenty of fish. As you can tell by the bend in my rod, I had on a hell of a fish.

It ran a bit, took some jumps, and I had to chase it downstream just to keep from running out of backing. Finally, with Adam's help, we netted the beast.

I was pretty tired after that one.

Adam hooked and landed a plethora of fish, including the only brownie I've ever seen live. It had beautiful coloring (as those of you with photo enhancement software will be able to see...)

In all seriousness, we really did see some big fish jumping around. Adam & I spotted some rises out of a deep pool. Adam tried to get them to eat the delicious stimulator he was offering them, but I think they were too impressed by the perfection and beauty of the cast to think about food.

We fished the creek from 10 am until 5 pm-ish and had a great time. I don't really care if the fish were all that small, we both had a blast. Apparently there are larger fish in the creek, and we will be back for them....wahahahahah wahahahah (maniacal laughter ensues)

Man you guys are lucky you didn't break any rods on those brutes! Very nice pictures, looks like a good time there in Adam's backyard!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Gregg -
    I don't think I've ever seen a better photo than the one you took of Adam throwing into the shade at the head of that pool - just PERFECT !!

Thanks for the report .

David

Awesome photos Gregg. That new camera is working great. Good looking river too. I fished deer creek about 8 years ago and caught numerous fish on drys. Most fish in the 6-10" range but i remember landing a couple of nice rainbows around 14". Never saw anything bigger. Great place for a 3 wieght.

Jason Hartwick

Another GREAT report guys! Despite the small fish, looks like a very pretty creek in a very pretty setting and it sounds like you had a lot of fun, good for you guys.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Gregg's monster trout almost broke his rod in TWO places

We surely didn't find any large trout (7" and up) but we had fun with a dry and a dropper. The weather and scenery was great.

Some of my inside sources tell me that we fished to close to some of the camping sites on the creek. We tried to fish the water further away from the road but I guess the campers beat us to it. From what I hear there are plenty of 6-8" trout and some in the 14" range in other sections of the creek like.

Both of us really enjoyed the wet wading in this warmer weather, feels soooo good

Gregg is having tons of fun with his new Pentax WP 5mp waterproof camera. He really wanted to get an underwater shot of a fish. Unfortunately the MACRO setting doesn't work well underwater Get it? MACRO, very small fish

I love to see pictures like Gregg's, MSP's hand holding trout and others included onto posts. Keep'em coming boys!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default brook trout!!

I fished deer creek yesterday too, from 2 to 8:30 in Elam campground and the meadow. I fished either a size 12 stimulator or a 16 elk hair caddis, the fish definitely preferred the caddis, tho I had a nice 13 incher take the stimulator (it was just a planter tho). Elam campground had fishing taking the dry fly on most casts at night, but fish were only 3-5 inch natives. It is so fri**ing tough to set the hook on a 3 inch trout taking a dry (for me at least). I landed around 10 7-12 inch rainbows, only 2 were natives and they were in the 7 inch range, plus numberous 3-5 inchers in elam.

I also landed 5 brook trout in the meadow area that were around 7-9 inches (9 inches being a "whopper" for the meadow. The meadow is a really great places to take a newby fly fisher to teach them how to dry fly fish. It is also alot easier to get to than some of the area you fished. Stop at the last bridge before highway 32 ends, and fish upstream.

This is a secret spot so dont tell anyone!!