Thread: A Couple of Hours on the Yuba

Default A Couple of Hours on the Yuba

Only fished a couple of hours today, too hot and too lazy! Still lots of stonefly husks on the rocks but only saw one adult. No fish on Zonkers, Poopahs, Stonefly nymphs, or Copper John's. Did manage this beauty on a Stimulator, ate it while I was shaking out my line to make my first cast. Whammo! Not another bump! Oh well, have a great weekend everyone!

Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Great fish! How was the wading? Was it crowded up there?

Nip, fished the North side downstream of the bridge. Not a lot of water to fish with the flows and the changes in the bottom. Still can't say how much has changed until the flows get down to around 1,000 cfs. Not a whole lot of water to get in so wading is a premium to get out of the heat. Steep banks all along the North side, mostly cast from the bank. Haven't been upstream so I don't know what happened up there. Definately floating would be the way to go.

There one car parked under the bridge when I got there and no cars when I left. Was it closed?
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Can't complain when you hook a nice fish like that on a dry fly! Keep it up.

Jason Hartwick

Gregg and I fished the Yuba yesterday for 3 hours with no luck. The river looks good but we were fishing from 12-3pm, it was hot and not the best time to be fishing. I saw one of the new changes to the river below the bridge on "river right" at the bend. There is a very nice channel which looks very tasty. I couldn't beleive that I did not hook anything in there.

The river still has a green tinge and is moving fast enoug to make fishing a little difficult. Plus the banks have much more of a drop into the water making wading difficult as well. It will take time to learn the river again.

Good luck out there guys.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Very nice fish Mike! As I always say, it's a huge difference between catching one and catching none, isn't it?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I also fished the Yuba friday.
    I also tried a zonker and only had one hit.
    I had a few small fish follow a adult Skwalla fly but no takers.
    I fished above the bridge with my kayak.
    I was able to paddle most of the way to the U.C.Davis property by paddling on the inside of the bends in the river and staying in the deeper water.
    The kayak was great way to go up river and not worry about being above the High water line.I could also cross the river at will and fish both sides of the river.
    Also the trip out was a peace of cake with no walking!!

Here is a photo of the foundation hole from the north side of the river.

A photo of the river at the U.C.davis property.

I highly recommend the use of a Kayak for fishing the Yuba river.
    There was a few places I had to carry the kayak up river.
    But it was a lot better than walking both ways.

Take care
    - Rob

Nice pictures and report Rob. I like th euse of a kayak to hit the upper waters on the yuba. Sounds like the river is fishing quite tough right now. Hopefully when the water drops, the fishing (catching) will improve.

Jason Hartwick

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    The kayak was great way to go up river and not worry about being above the High water line.I could also cross the river at will and fish both sides of the river.

I highly recomend the use of a Kayak for fishing the Yuba river.
    There was a few place Ihad to carry the kayak up river.
    But it was a lot better than walking both ways.

- Rob
    Cool! I have never fished the Yuba but have read alot about it. Make sure to give Randall Jarvis a hearty hello!

Actually maybe it isnt a good idea to use a Kayak. You will make all those flyfisherman at the foundation hole who are paying $1000 a year to belong toYOA feelbad