Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Bass report

Jason:

Ever fished Town Lake in Austin? I have a meeting in Austin at the end of July, and my hotel appears to be right on Town Lake, which I understand is actually the Colorado River dammed up. I read that there is some pretty decent largemouth fishing there.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/inf...ke/lake_id.htm

Might be something to do in the evenings or morning meeting sessions that I might want to skip out of. Can it be fished from the bank, or are there canoe or boat rentals there? I hate to travel to meetings without a fly rod.
    Don C.

Don, i have fished town lake a few times with brett humphries, former kienes employee but we never did too well. There are a lot fo large bass and perch but they seem to hug the bottom and the spin/bait fisherman seem to do better than fly fisherman. It is really not fishable from the bank. There are boat and kayak rentals on the lake. Another option would be to wade the coloardo below town lake and longhorn dam if the water is not too high. I have yet to fish it but would love to try. I hear there are some large stripers in there along with perch, largemouth, and guadalupe bass. Stay in touch and if i hear of any other spots close by worth fishing i will let you know.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Jason, Thanks for the information. I looked up flow levels for the Colorado at Austin, and it looked strange - apparently fluctuating from very low (85 cfs) to 3800 cfs within a day? http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?ewx&acrt2. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly, but I saw another site that did not advise wading below the dam during the summer due to unpredictable flow fluctuations. Anyway, I'll keep looking at options. A morning spent paddling a canoe and casting around the lake will probably sound pretty good after sitting in meetings for two days, even if the fish are hard to come by.
    Don C.

You are reading the flows correctly.
    Pretty crazy looking on the graph.
    The release seems to start mid-morning and make its way down Town Lake and through Longhorn Dam a couple of hours later.
    I was told by a LCRA analyst that the gage below Longhorn can show a rise of around six feet in a matter of minutes.
    He also added that fall is a much better time for fishing on this stretch of the Colorado with far fewer releases.
    Now what golf course was that? I'm looking to get into some good golf course fishing...

Clif, i could tell ya but then i'd have to kill ya. It's a local country clun. Thats all the info i could give otherwiseit might get over fished. I will tell you one really good pond i fish though is thepond between the 10th hole and 18th hole at circle c golf course. Large bass that love flies on top!

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

Jason, have you heard from Brett lately? Was his parents house damaged by the hurricane? I hope Brett and his folks are okay.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam, i talked to Brett last week. His parents house is about 5 minuted from my place in Austin and we did not receive any weather from the hurricane. Not even any rain or wind.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

Good to hear!

Those two hurricanes have sure done some damage.

When are you comin out this way to chase the steelies Jason?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member