Thread: Making a Shad Trip from Bay Area

Default Making a Shad Trip from Bay Area

Hey guys,

new to the board. love the info and the attitude (or lack thereof) already. Coming up to fisht the American from my pram tomorrow afternoon (Th) . where would you recommend? pretty new at this so any specific locations or water types to look for would be much appreciated.

rigged up with my 8 and a type VI shooting head (also have a type III). gonna try both dumbell and chain eye flies. for a shot at steelies, what kind of dropper do you recommend?

thanks in advance for the help.

bp
    Wishin' I was a Fishin'

Welcome to the board , BP !!!

I haven't been out .... BUT -

If I had the day off tomorrow , w/ a Pram ... I'd go to UPPER SUNRISE - set up at the tailout of the island (against the NORTH bank) , make sure to let the fly hang down for a moment or two at the end of the swing .

I hope you SPANK those silly little black-mouth critters -

David

Default thanks

David

thanks for the quick response. would you throw the VI or the III?

Brent
    Wishin' I was a Fishin'

Default Heads.....

Hey bd,..... The flows are still a bit high/fast. I'd start with the type VI and go to the type III if unsuccessful..... If you 're gonna stay late, look for fish spawning in the surface and try a floating or sink-tip line.... One of the other guys on the BB used a Fox's Poopah to catch a bunch a few days ago
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Brent !

I ALWAYS go for the fast one first . If you're catchin' snagfish , then change . Make sure to jig that sucker at the end of the swing for a while .

Also - Shad are one of the few "social" fish - Shad fishermen are pretty cool about sharing a spot , so don't be afraid to ask for a place in line if ya see someone into 'em . Always ask first , though (for the record , I have been asked a few hundred times , and have offered , as well , for people to come into the bucket ... They are just Shad , after all ....) .

Great to see ya here , give us a report after you get back home .....if your arms ain't too tired :P

David

Sailor Bar
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........