Thread: hackle poll

Default hackle poll

A lot of fly shops I go to only have necks which are kind of expensive. What do people think about minipacks for like $3 that some companies offer? Would you buy them? Do you think more flyshops should stock them ?

I gave up on the Necks for the Premium Saddles I do not have the time to sort thru that many small necks . I takes more time to sort that many feathers. By using Premium Saddles they are Graded for Size and Quality. You can buy a Lower grade of Saddle but you can lose the Size range of Hackles . I tie 22 to 14 in Dry's and midges and will tie a 100 at a time.

I've used the whiting 100 packs for some of the small odd hackles not frequently used. size 22 dyed blue wing olive for instance...
    Great quality, single size but avoids buying a whole neck or saddle.
    I have yet to get 100 flies out of those packs though....
    -Paul

I have gotten better than a 100 using the 100's 18-20 size .

Double post

I like the Whiting 100 packs, and also there premium 1/4 saddles.
    Why is it we have to work so hard all week, to try and fish as much as we can in two days? That's just wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Blancett
    I gave up on the Necks for the Premium Saddles I do not have the time to sort thru that many small necks . I takes more time to sort that many feathers. By using Premium Saddles they are Graded for Size and Quality. You can buy a Lower grade of Saddle but you can lose the Size range of Hackles . I tie 22 to 14 in Dry's and midges and will tie a 100 at a time.
    Have you ever tried the ewing hackle mini packs? They are a couple of dollars and have 100-200 feathers attached to a skin. They come in packs consisting of 2 size ranges, ie 12-14

Hey Brad,

Do they still make hooks that small. I don't think I could even put that size in the jaws of the vise.
    Right now, I'm tying flies on size 8 and 10's. Using the TMC 2457 scud hook for some of my carp flies. It's tough trying to slide tungstun beads onto the shank of the hooks.

Great eyes

Jay

Hi Jay !

I have one customer that has to have 18's & 22's in Drys so I cannot say no . Yes I have to break out the Renzetti for the Tiny Flies as I cannot get the Barracuda to hold 22's so I can get a feather on them . The Eyes are still real good . But I really like to tie #8 to 10/0

BTW I'll be in Fresno in the morning to pick up Ashlee, She is coming home for the summer then Back to Fresno in Late August .

double post ??