Thread: Another trip to the bass pond

Default Another trip to the bass pond

After kicking my cold I have resumed the torment of my local bass population.

I fished my pond earlier tonight. I caught a bunch of bass AND bluegill. I caught more large bluegill on poppers tonight than I have in a long time. I had to tie up some more foam poppers and restocked my fly box after using up all of my previous poppers.

Here are some pictures from tonight.

The sunset over the pond and my neighbors.

One of the nicer bass tonight.

One of the larger bluegill caught tonight.

I love the surprise of landing large bluegill like this, especially after it crashes onto my popper.

The bluegill and bass would grab my popper before I stripped in any line. As soon as the pooper hit the water I would have a fish, very fun. Gregg had a similar experience about two months ago. He caught nine gluegill on nine consecutive casts without stripping in the popper. He relly enjoyed himself, as did I tonight.

The summer is a great time for warm water fly fishing.

Enjoy yourselves!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Very nice! I may have to road trip up to where you are and pay you a visit one of these days.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Gregg, you and your son are welcome.

Adam Grace

Very nice Adam! I just can't get over the size of the bluegill you regularly pull out of there. . . . TOO cool! The one picture makes the pond look much bigger than I had thought it was, like a small lake. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves over the summer and whether it develops big weed beds.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike, I really hope the weeds mat up a so that I can get in some mat fishing. It's always fun to watch a bass crash through those heavy weeds to slam your fly.

The weeds started growing quickly before the last series of cold weather storms. I think the colder weather and high water has killed off some of the weeds. Or maybe the grounds keeper of the lakes treated the water to keep the weeds down I hope they come back a little bit but I don't want the lakes to become overgrown.

About those bluegills, I cannot believe they I am still catching them on poppers. I understand it when I am using a woollybugger down deep but this is crazy.

I'm loving it!

Adam Grace