Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Klamath River in September

Default Lower Klamath River in September

If you want to try to get a picture like this of yourself with a wild lower Klamath River Steelhead you better start calling veteran guide Bruce Slightom here soon to reserve a spot in late September.

Bruce's email: mothgils@cox.net
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I wonder what this fall's run will be like, considering that the 'big kill off' occured 3 yrs ago.
    I happened to be there those couple days and witnessed that calamity. What a shame.
    I would assume that the salmon run might be pretty thin, but what about the steelies? I didn't see as many steelhead littered on the banks.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

I don't think the steelhead were that hard hit. That being said you never know about the runs on the Klamath. The half pounder run seemed off last year so maybe the adults will be off this year. I still can't think of many places I would rather be in September - a Klamath adult is a very hot fish!!! And if anyone can get you into them it will be Bruce. I saw Bruce hook a steelhead in his bathtub once

just looking at the water temps recently and they're hovering around 70 degrees! Yikes...
    I hope the releases from Lewiston will cool it down.
    I've not yet seen any scheduled releases posted yet. I think it usually starts before Labor day?
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Every year folks indicate the temps are very high but for as long as I can remember the Klamath River has always run warm in the fall and I think the fish have adapted some to these higher temps. That is not to say you should play a fish to death. Half poundrs can be brought in very quickly and adults can also be landed expediently by putting maximum pressure on them. A bit of effort spent on reviving fish that need it will go a long way to making sure fish you hook will swim away and be available for the next guy

I fished the Lower Klamath last year with Rick J for the first time. I loved our trip. The jet sledding was tons of fun and a great way to see a lot of different water. We caught a good amount of HP's and had a blast with our spey rods.

The Lower Klamath is PERFECT for spey fishing.

Both Rick and I caught one or two decent fish apeice, Rick landed one about five pounds, mine was nearly three pounds. The 3 pounder was a nice surprise compared to the smaller HP's that we had been catching.

My fight with the 3lber in a beautiful large tailout.

The wonerdful steelie which made my trip.

We would swing size #8-12 beaded brindle bugs, assassins and other similar patterns.

I had tons of fun, I hope to convince Rick to invite me again...

I hope to make at least two trips up there during the run, if school and work permits.

Great fishing
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hey Adam nice post and pictures. Looks like you stole that glove from Michael Jackson. It's only fishing, your not doing the moonwalk!

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Jason, I would "Beat It" but "I Don't Stop 'til I Get Enough", I guess I'm just "Bad". "The Way You Make Me feel" makes me "Take A Look In The Mirror" and see that "You Are Not Alone".

That glove gives me a "Thriller" and generates a feeling of being a "Smooth Criminal" when I land steelies with my spey rod.

(Moonwalk...Leg kick & grab of the crotch) EEEEE HEE HEE...OOOW

Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace
    Jason, I would "Beat It" but "I Don't Stop 'til I Get Enough", I guess I'm just "Bad". "The Way You Make Me feel" makes me "Take A Look In The Mirror" and see that "You Are Not Alone".

That glove gives me a "Thriller" and generates a feeling of being a "Smooth Criminal" when I land steelies with my spey rod.

(Moonwalk...Leg kick & grab of the crotch) EEEEE HEE HEE...OOOW

Oh , my ....... I knew it was only a matter of time 'till you went 'round the bend

My condolences to your parents :P

David

Hi Adam,
    Hope I can make it over for the mini-clave the third weekend in August - we can discuss your schedule and try to pick a weekend we are both free

Just got Anderson's light 1204 spey that I have been playing around with some - should be a fun rod up on the Klamath

Best regards,
    Rick