Thread: williamson/wood rivers

Default williamson/wood rivers

Hi everyone

Heading up to fish on the wood and williamson rivers in Klamath basin area next week. Anyone have suggestions for flys to use? Any help would be useful, such as technique and gear. I hear heavy leader, 2-3X are in order. Also interested in any creeks in this area that may be fishable this time of year. Appreciate the help!

Default Williamson/Wood Rivers...

Hey there,.... I've never visited either of those rivers but plan to before checking out.... The only advice I can provide is to obtain a copy of Polly Rosboroughs book, Tying and Fishing The Fuzzy Nymphs. The Williamson was one of Polly's favorite rivers and the fly patterns in the book are for latitudes covering the williamson....

Also, I'm sure if do a Google search for flyshops in that area, at least one will be able to provide you with current info.

Good luck and good fishin'....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

You can access the Williamson River upstream from Chiloquin at Collier State Park where Spring Creek enters the river. Early and late is best for those really large Rainbow trout. You can get in and wade downstream for a 1/2 mile or so.

You can use a 5-7 weigh outift with a floating line, 9' 2x leader and a #10 wooly bugger, muddler minnow or leech.

Floating in a drift boat is the best way to fish the river but I don't think you are not allowed to fish from a boat till you get below Chiloquin.

I think you need a boat to get to the Wood River.

Geting a drift boat guide is a good way to go.

There was a fly shop in Chiloquin.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. I am staying at Horseshoe ranch, which has some private access. Have a guide for Monday 7/4. I hear there is a hardware store in town with some fly gear, did not hear of a fly shop. Like everywhere I hear the water is high, but will make the best of it!

Doug

Be sure to give us a full report when you get back and have time.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fort Creek and Anne Creek are both near the Wood R. near Fort Klamath is Jackson F. Kimball Recreation Site. You can access the Wood there. Since these are spring creeks you should be ok. I saw Adult Golden Stones on the Wood, July or August can't remember. Beautiful country though. Cheers HC

Great info HC

I have always heard that hoppers are a big deal on the Wood River too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Here is the report! Beautiful area. The lakes are still high, so the fish have not yet started to come up the rivers, such as the Wood. Our group caught a couple browns in the wood on drys in the 18-20" range, but there was no action except between 8:30 PM and dark. Stimulators and Adams. No hopper action until later in the summer. We found several nice creeks, Anne, Sun, but nothing pulled out of them. Everyone said we are too early this year, or the feeding is just late at night. The only good action was on the Williamson, floating with the right guide. We were pulling rainbows 4-10 pounds, few but quality. I did 4 in the 5-6lb range on my trip. All wet flys, different one working every day, swung on intermediate line. The guide was Marlon Rampsy http://www.flyfishoregon.com. I will attempt to attach a picture, or not![/img]