Thread: Hex Hatch?

Default Hex Hatch?

Any word on the Hex Hatch up at Almanor or Butt Lakes? Should be starting soon.
    By the way, I spoke with Jay Fair and Alan Bruzza up in Quincy and they have reported that the pond smelt in Almanor are almost non existent. That means that when the turbines are turned on and pumped out at Butt Lake there are no more stuned, cripled smelt for the trout to gorge on. Any word or thoughts on why there are no more smelt?

I have heard that there are Asian Pond Smelt in the Delta now along with Threadfin Shad.

I can only assume they migrated downstream from Lake Almanor and Lake Oroville?

Everything in the Sierras is a week to 2 weeks or more behind this summer. July might be the best time to fish for everything this summer where it is usually June.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default POnd smelt

Personally, I don't believe the smelt are all gone, possibly a reduction due to a kill (winter, spring, or vector induced). Could be wrong though-- have been many times.

I would say if the trout people are catching are skinny, there's likley a problem. But I'm not hearing that. There could have been such a bloom in the pond smelt population, that they overwhelmed the preferred micorscopic food supply-- pretty hard to believe.

We'll
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

I fished Almanor a week ago Sat and there were no Hex on the West shore. Did manage a few smallmouth on wollybuggers. Water is about 10 degrees colder than the same time last year. High 50's to low 60's. Will likely be a late season there too.
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"