Thread: Sabot (sailing) pram sufficient for AR?

Default Sabot (sailing) pram sufficient for AR?

Bill (or anyone experienced w/this type of pram),
    Let's say it's mid to late August, the flows are steady and everywhere in the water is fish!!!

Would a Sabot (glass; 8'x4'x1'- bouyancy chambers bow and stearn; 7' wooden oars and a FF'er w/lifevest) be sufficient for a float on the AR? I recently picked one up and spent the last couple weekends getting her ship-shaped and she's ready to roll. I'm familiar with rowing on flat water but very limited on moving.

So,
    1. 8'er good enough for AR?
    2. If your answer is yes, what section(s) would be good for a 1st timer?
    3. Additional gear ie. anchor, soda filled cooler ?
    4. Logistically how does one get back to the transport vehicle?

Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

WC - Good to see you're coming up !!

An 8 foot pram is fine .... (no keel , please ) .

Mid to late August ?? Stripes are the only "large number" Gamefish in at that time .... but this year has been strange , so ANYTHING could happen .

Extra gear in a pram ?? See the list in "Feather gear list for small craft" under boats . Bring a pistol and cellphone when you float the lower river .

To get back to your car , spend $25.00 for a shuttle (call Joe S. at Kienes , he'll give ya a ride , and make you tye him some Green Drakes :P ) .

With the goofy weather , you might find the halfpounders in in FORCE - I hope you sink the pram w/ them .

David

Default Sabot or El Toro pram

David is right, the pram can handle the AR if you follow general boating safety and common sense. I mean skirt the San Juan rapids and such. Just rig it like a drifter and it will be fine for you, not really big enough for two fishing IMHO. I wish I had mine back now. David what is the pistol for, Coyotes? What caliber? Or or do you mean a flair gun. HC

Default Sabot on AR

David & HC:
    Thanks guys for your input and safety reminders and David thanks for pointing me to the posting of gear list. I just pray that nothing comes up to mess up my schedule.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~