Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: steelhead flies?

Actually .......

Darian was correct , the first time - the original Crystal Flash WAS called Crystal Hair . It was produced (of all places ) in Roseville , if I'm not mistaken .

I still have 4 or 5 original packages left over

David

SullyTM Guest

Default 600 Club

David Lee breaks the 600 post barrier I look forward to his next 600 SullyTM

Default Crystal Hair....

You mean I don't have to have my remaining brain cells inventoried
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

not today anyway...
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Thom - I thank you .

Darian - time to slather some Rancid Bear Grease on that boy .... :P

JasonH - We gotta fish next time you're "up-north" .

Digger - The Assassins that I've seen are like the second one Darian described , just cock a small bunch of crystal whatever at a 30 degree angle up AFTER you make the first wrap of chenille over the TOP of the hook shank ..... by the way , its great to see you posting here more !!!

Adam - BOW before your Elders

:P David :P

David, only rancid bear grease will make ME bow :P
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Steelhead flies

Digger, the Assasin is a wooly worm. The way I tye it is with chrystal flash tail, wire rib, chenille body and palmered hackle. There are many varaitons but some flash in the body helps. I wind the hackle and then counter rid with the wire, helps make a more durable fly. I think this is taken as a sculpin, there are loads of sculpin in the Klamath.
    The Herniator is on a 200r hook. The rear two thirds of the body is Diamond braid, the front is peacock. The hackle is guinea. The most popular colors are copper, green and red. Try useing wire instead of braid, tye in under where the peacock will be wind back toward the hook point then over wrap toward the eye creating a rib with the wiire.
    All this talk about which flies to use and no ones has said a Burlap. Great fly when the caddis are on the water. Bruce
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Bruce, what is the recipe for the burlap. Or at least which one do you use. I have seen a few different variations.

Jason Hartwick

Jason, for a Burlap I like grizzle hackle tips for a tail, the body is burlap (dua) but I like to take one strand of pearl chrystal flash and twist it with the burlap, grizzle hackle, long with lots of web. Also in the sunny days try one with red chrystal flash for a tail. But the orginal is good also, we have to suport the shops and try new materials. Bruce
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Another offshoot of the burlap is a fly my friend Brett Jensen came up with called a Klamath Caddis tied on a Tiemco 200. Very fat foam underbody - fatter in the back and tapered to the front - wrap this over tightly with burlap (can use various colors - rust makes a great October Caddis) Tie in an elk hair wing (again you can vary the color) and leave the tips flaired in front then use some sort of duck flank as a throat tied in on both sides.

I rarely fish this right on top but as a damp fly though it is also very effective on a sink tip. I use this and a copper bead head moss back probably 95% of the time - makes the fly boxes lighter!!!

Usually tied on 8's and 6's

Jasonh - what spey rod will you be using? this is a great river for speys. Bruce and I have been playing with them for a number of years now. I hope to get one of Gary Anderson's light speys - he has a 12 foot for a 4 wt I believe that should be an incredible Klamath rod!!