Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: steelhead flies?

Default steelhead flies?

Getting ready to tie some steelhead flies for this fall and was wondering if anyone had the recipe to a humburg limey and weitchpec witch. These are suppose to be two popular flies on the klamath that i would like to try. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Default Steelhead Flies!!!!

Yeah A traditional Steelhead pattern mentioned.... I have info about the Weitchpec Witch but nothing about the Limey .... the pattern for the version of the Witch that I know :

Tail: Golden Pheasant tippets;
    Body: thick, black chenille;
    Hackle: black saddle hackle (3 turns max.);
    Wing: orange buck tail:
    Thread: black;
    Optional: Tie with oval silver rib (not on mine ), a heavy hook or weight the body....

The fly I purchased was intended to be fished in the heavy flows around Weitchpec. Thus, a very heavy hook is used. Mine was tied on a Mustad, model 7970, size 4 .

As with all traditional Steelhead patterns, there'll undoubtedly be several versions of it. Hopefully we'll hear from someone with one of those versions....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks for the help Darian. I am looking forward to trying it this fall.

Jason Hartwick

Default "Limey"

Jason,.... If you hear anything about the "Limey", I'd be interested in a description....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Steelhead Flies

The Limey is a take off on a Brindle Bug with the colors being lime green and green grizzly hackel, brown hackle is a good option. The hum bug is a brown hackle peacock tyed in a Brindle Bug style.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Thanks for your help Bruce. I am looking forward to fishing the klamath this fall for the forst time with my spey rod. Only wish summer would go by a little faster.

Jason Hartwick

Jason , not that you asked ..... but I would only take about 5 different patterns to the Klamath if I was lucky 'nuff to get up there ...

Silver Hilton - #6 , #8
    Mossback - #6 , #8 , #10
    Undertaker (Spey tie) -#7 , #5
    Spawning Purple or Purple Peril -#6
    Orange Comet - #4 , #8

If they don't eat those on the swing .... they ain't gonna eat at all .

Also , for dead-drifting , #6 Olive/Copper Bugger , #6 woolhead Sculpin , #6 Black Rubberlegs .
    For a dry ..... #8 Orange Humpy

Don't forget those fantastic Caddis you tye .... they should get eaten on the swing , as well .

Have a fun trip !!

David

David, do you have any pictures or the recipe for the undertaker. I love tying spey style flies and they usually produce fairly well. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

Let's see if my sorry brain can remember this one ....

The hook - the Alec Jackson Spey one from di- or Dai -something , size 5 or 7 (black or , if ya can find some , BLUED )

Tip -gold mylar
    First tag -lime green or Chartruse floss
    second tag -Bright red floss
    Body - Peacock Herl
    Body hackle - burned goose spey , black (strip-off fibers from one side and soak in water before tying)
    Rib - small , oval gold
    Wing - Black crystal Flash
    Head - black thread

I went nuts a few years ago , and tyed a load of Spey-style flies ..... never caught squat on them in the American , though ...

Come to think of it , I didn't catch very many Steelies on anything , because I'm a lame Steelhead fisherman :P

They sure do look nice in the box !! David

David, as far as i am concerned everyone fishign the american for steelhead is a lame fisherman because they do not come easy. I fished it about 20 days last fall and winter and only hooked three adults and landed two. It just isn't like fishing the north coast or oregon. If you want a true steelhead experience give the upper rogue a try in early october. Its AWESOME! Thanks and take care.

Jason Hartwick