Thread: Unexpected Catches

Default Unexpected Catches

Ok, here's one we haven't covered. How about examples of times you were out fishing for something specific and ended up catching something totally unexpected.

Here's a redear sunfish I caught on a #2 deerhair bass bug (Tap's Bug) while fishing specifically for largemouth bass in the Delta:

And here's a largemouth bass I caught on a little bitty #14 gold-ribbed hare's ear nymph while specifically fishing for redear sunfish and bluegill in a pond:

Got any examples to share?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Unexpected Catches...

Ya know,.... my second wife was an unexpected catch... . Had to release 'er unharmed a short time later... . She probably wouldn't agree that she was unharmed, tho.... .

As the country western song says: You got the gold mine and I got the shaft (just kidding.... )
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, Darian, Darian. . . .
    -- Mike

My son and I were fishing the Feather River by Gridley for half pounders earlier in the year and caught several fish I don't recognize. They were long and silver about 14-18 inches in length. The body was more shaped like a salmonid than a bass, and took nymphs readily. The head was kinda like a small catfish without wiskers and a wide mouth. Still don't know what they were and don't know if my description is good enuough for anybody to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBuddha
    My son and I were fishing the Feather River by Gridley for half pounders earlier in the year and caught several fish I don't recognize. They were long and silver about 14-18 inches in length. The body was more shaped like a salmonid than a bass, and took nymphs readily. The head was kinda like a small catfish without wiskers and a wide mouth. Still don't know what they were and don't know if my description is good enuough for anybody to guess.
    I catch alot of Pike Minnow that are long and silver in the high flow of the feather. They have some spunk to them. They have small mouths tho.

I was fishing the Develis River in Val Verde Tx for large and small mouth bass and ended up catching a weird fish called a Rio Grand Perch. Strange little fish, kinda looked like a redear sunfish that had bumped his head and had skin like sand paper. On the same trip my buddy caught a gar by catching a pan fish that got ate by the gar.
    2short

Default Gar....

Wow Does that bring back a few memories... .

When I was about 15 yrs old I stayed for a summer with relatives in Long Beach, Miss. There were a bunch of sloughs in the area (this is close to the Miss River delta) that were filled with the usual suspects.... .

The first time I saw an Alligator Gar, I thought I was looking at a world record freshwater Barracuda... . These things were monstrous, or so it seemed at the time... . Nobody there was overly concerned but me, tho..... Needless to say, I didn't do much swimmin amongst 'em... . Never could hook one and probably should've wished not to (....but I tried nevertheless ).

They were always concentrated in certain clearwater areas. Looked like a bunch of logs stacked crosswise in the water... . Kinda makes ya wonder what kind of fly it's take to get 'em to bite...
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Da big one...on the small one

In the mid-80's I was fishing with Chris Pasley in January for steelhead on the American. The river was backed up by the high water on the Sacramento all the way to the island below H Street. He was tossing some type of #4 steelie fly, swinging it, gets a couple of grabs and hooks a 10" pre-migrant. We are kinda laughing and suddenly his rod hits the water, the reel starts whining, and off to the races. We can't figure out what the hell is going on but sure enough a striper took that trout. With a great skill on wading, he ended up landing that carnivorous beast (about 30 pounds) on the steelhead fly and 6 pound test. Always trust your Maxima.
    The worst part of the story: no striper tag so it was granted a pardon. I do love those stripers in a tempura batter.

I was tossing a little #14 or #16 caddis pupa into the reeds at Mather lake last year and a largemouth that went about 2 lbs grabbed it. I didn't think I'd be able to land him as I was using my 3wt bamboo rod and he went straight into the thick stuff. However, after about 3-4 minutes of tugging, he must have turned around and headed right back out the way he came and I ended up landing him. Fun!

Kevin, that's pretty cool but I hope your bamboo rod was okay. . . .
    -- Mike