Thread: Knot Question

Default Knot Question

I need to know what knot most people like for tying 60+ pound shock tippet to their class leaders?
    Let me know you thoughts...
    Thanks,
    PJ

Default knot

I'd put a bimini in the class tippet and then albright the shock tippet to the doubled class tippet.

JRH
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Default Knots to You.....???

Ya know, there's a lot of personal preference involved in this area.... I decided, for my own education/satisfaction, to obtain some info from person who is respected in this area and has written a book on knots/leader construction... . That person is Bill Nash.... .

You could ask him this question on Blantons BB and he will graciously answer but that would only scratch the surface of this bit of knowledge.... I'd highly recommend buying, at least, the book. Title: FLYCASTING Systems... . Since Bill's reading materials and DVD's can only be purchased from him, direct, I'm hoping Bill Kiene will not object to this post. If so, Bill, feel free to delete it.... The materials are reasonably priced for the knowledge gained, in my opinion.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Default Knots to you

Darian...when I was in Boy Scouts 40 years ago it was square knots, granny knots and the hangman's knot...Now it's like grocery shopping. Choices, choices, choices...I'm still trying to figure out what is the "easiest" to tie with the best strength...Currently, I'm using the Orvis Knot, Lefty's Loop Knot(taught to me by Mr. Lee), Donner Knot, Double Surgeon's...You get the idea. The bimini is a difficult knot for me to tie but it is a great knot if you can tie it!!!

Default More Knots.....

Hey guys,.... Here's an idea of what covered in the materials... :

Best Knots
    Leader Design
    Knots for Bug Game
    Selecting the Right Lines
    Assembling a System
    Step by Step Explanations and Illustrations

That shopuld be enough to make any devotees mouth water.... :P :P
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Default Knots Landing

Bill? Do you carry the book Darian speaks of? FLYCASTING SYSTEMS If so, what is the $$...

Darian...I've been practicing my loop knots and have all my tippet spools ready to go for a quick change...now if only I can get the deerhair spinning down

Most people put a Bimini Twist knot in the class tippet and then use a Hufnagle (figure eight) to attach the class to the shock.

Leo Gutterres has a new knot that works real good too. I will see if I can get him to post it here.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........