Thread: Mending Fly Lines

SullyTM Guest

Default Mending Fly Lines

Since I'm an old dog that is still learning new tricks, I thought I'd get some input on mending your fly line.

I know and understand that mending is used to compensate for unwanted line drag, however, I would like to know if any of the vets have some Do's & Dont's for mending...Thanks.

We are all constantly learning here and this is a very good one Sully.

In my lifetime I have been very lucky to have fished with either very good fly fishers or with top fly fishing guides. Every time I get around someone of this caliber I learn something, even if it is something 'not to do'.

From some Deschutes River steelhead guides I learned different ways to mend. Now I actually do what they call an "aerial mend" or mend in the air before the line hits the water. This is for 'swinging flies' or 'greased line' fishing for steelhead or the 'traditional way' to fish for them.

I would say that any time you can get out with a good fly angler or a good recommended fly fishing guide, do it.

Jeff Putnam teaches a class in Steelhead fishing and in that one you will learn line control by mending.

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Line Control....

Thom,.... In addition to what Bill has said in his post, there're are several good books on this subject.... Some are more technical and voluminous .

One is more basic, very economical but good. This book is titled, Curtis Creek Manifesto... .

The more technical books are authored by guys like Mel Kreiger or Lefty Kreh. There're others that may fit your needs as well.. .

Happy reading.... .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Bill/Darian...I'm on it. Thanks. Woff-woff!

A good article with some dandy illustrations.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...n_mending.aspx
    RdC

Mending fly line is one of the most important parts of the presentation. Seeing a delicate size 18 mayfly waterski across a current seam and through a riffle dosen't look that appealing to those lazy but educated trout. Mending provides a life like presentation that the trout are use to when natural insects float downstream.
    Proper mending requires that the fly line first be lifted off the surface then repositioned up or downstream. Without first lifting the line, any attemt at "mending" will instantly pull the fly and initiate drag. Lift by raising your arm then snap your wrist in an up or downstream direction. This will reposition the line without causing the fly to drag. This requires some practice. When you get comfortable with this movement try to add slack to the mend at the point of snapping the wrist. This will keep the fly floating even longer with out drag. Also to to mend in the air before the fly hits the water...even better. good luck

Sully, I love mending, although mending doesn't always love me!

I try to airial mend(AM) as much as possible. If I can make a great AM I usually do not have to fus and mend the line nearly as much while it's on the water. Doug Swisher starred in a great video from Scientific Anglers some years back, "Advanced Fy Casting." In that video he teaches how and when to use AM's. I love that video. Bill should have a copy left at the shop unless ungrateful customers haven't returned, or worst, stolen more of his rental videos. AM is great for dry fly fishing when you do not want to move the fly once it lands on the water.

I believe that the secret t this great sport is line control.

Mending can be the difference between catching fish or not.

I learn that more and more whenever I go out fishing with my fly fishing guide friends. These guides fly fish for a living and it always blows me away when I see one of them set one perfect drift after another perfect drift. I have been taught some much needed instruction to further my indo-nymphing tecniques(since I do not practice or use this technique very often.) The one tip that I have received from all of my guide buddies is to first lift the rod tip vertically which in turn lifts the fly line off of the surface of the water and then throw the mend, Keith Kaneko explained this very well to me. Keith made it sounds so simple but muscle memory from years of incorrect mending made it a little difficult for me to pick up at first. After the line has broken the surace tension then simply sweep or flick the rod tip to the opppropirate side of the current and let it drop. A simple mend.

I am still working on my stack mending at long distances while indo-nymping, Gino Bernero and Mike Bias have given me some great insruction with this more advanced technique. The trick that I was taught was to cast as far up stream as needed and wait for the indicator to drift a couple of feet back towards you so that you have some slack to raise the rod tip to throw a small roll cast of slack towards the indicator, stack mend. I always thought that you should never disturb the indicator but Gino taught me to flip it up and over a little to allow the flies to catch up to the indicator.

Describing slack mending is not very easy, nor is the actuall mend, but it is very important for long line indo-nymphing.

Like I said before mending is very important.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Good information from all, I will add my two cents worth. There is a difference between trout and steelhead mending. In trout fishing I think that the inportant thing is to anticipate drag and mend before the line becomes tight. If the leader is tight there is no way not to move the fly. Reach mends are great and can extend a drift. In trout fishing I point the rod tip at the fly after a mend, steelhead fishing I do not point the rod tip at the fly and do not care if the fly moves when I mend.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Bruce, I use the reach almost all of the time, very versatile.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member