Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cement Pond Won't Be a Bonanza for Long!

All i have to say is a GREAT post by David and a nice looking bass by Adam.

Jason Hartwick

SullyTM Guest

Geez Adam...not large That smile sez it all...and to think in the Fall you'll be studying What flies are you using? Hairstacker, any Delta success with the secret weapons? I'm still looking at inflatables by the way...Later.

I use size #8 foam popper like this.

I like to add rubber legs and a 17lb weed guard that is heavy enough to guard the hook from weeds but soft enough to catch smaller fish.

These foam popper boddies are made by Wapsi and they come 10 to a pack with popper hooks included. I believe that Bill has some in stock. They are easy to tie and they pop very easily. Great bass flies and tons of fun at dusk!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam, that is a very respectable bass, great job!

Thom, you mean I was supposed to fish with those things?!? I had intended them for display and example purposes.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Poppers!!!!

Cool popper Adam,.... Does the size 8 refer to hook or fly size

Was over at Kiene's yesterday and didn't see any of those foam bodies. Probably need to ask Bill to re-stock 'em... . I think Bill misses your inventory control skills.... :P :P
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Default Bass

Mike...Try one of the Pinkys, OK? They might induce something to bite.

Thom, Pinky in the Delta? Ok, will give it a good run.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

DISCLAIMER - Before we take off our watches , roll-up our sleeves , and tye-on the boxing gloves ..... This post is not meant to stir up anything vile - I AM NOT a closet-nazi , zenophobe , klansman , or bigot . Nor do I approve of any of that garbage ..... I just think the "no-speak , no understand" crap doesn't fly .... You don't have to be fluent in the language , just understand the Law .... and ETHICS - that's all .

My point is .....Sunfish , usually no closed season and no limit .... so its LEGAL to keep them . Is it a SOUND practice to keep a mess of them off the beds while they are ACTIVELY SPAWNING ? I don't think so - legal , yes , but not so good for the fish population .

Over the years ... I have run into many , many people fishing and keeping over the legal limit amounts of Gamefish - both keeper (legal) sized , and more often undersized . The problem is they don't speak or read the common language of this country (You know .... the one that the DFG regs are printed in) .... Where they are from makes NO DIFFERENCE to me , as long as WE ALL follow the same laws .

In the situation that MSP brought to light , NO LAWS were broken - But did the "anglers" in question understand what they were doing ?? Do you really think that next week , they won't be at Freeport , or Miller park keeping a bucket full of under-sized Stripes ?? Or Steelhead Smolts ? If someone dosen't give a damm about fish active on beds , will they give a damm about silly things like limits ?? Or minimum sizes ??

And .... I'll say it one more time - TOO MANY people who were born in THIS country , who SHOULD know better , also do the same thing .

David Lee - A very proud member of the GREATEST melting pot on Earth .

I don't think this is a American/non-American, immigrant/non-immigrant or English/non-English speaking issue, and it should not be stereotyped into one. To do so would be wrong. It is really about human nature. How many of us drives the speed limit all the times. I am sure we all know the law but sometime we chose to speed anyways. It is human nature to take, consume, and weigh the risk and rewards.

Reading these threads, I am reminded of my youth when I went fishing with my buddies at a lake in the Bay Area. We spent countless weekends searching for schools of crappies. One day, we finally found the jackpot and pull in about forty of them in a very short period of time. We threw them in a bucket and brought them home. We fillet and ate about twenty of them and threw the rest in the freezer. My parents came home and ask me why it was necessary to keep all the fish. My only answer was that we caught them they were ours to keep. The thought of catch and release never entered my mind. It wasn't until years later as I fished with other seasoned fisherman that the concept of catch and release was taught to me. Now, I practice catch and release, but the concept was not readily apparant until someone explained it to me. Now when my son catches a fish, his fist comment is can I keep it. I ask him why and he saids that he wants to show mom and to keep the fish as his pet. I told him that I have a camera and explained the concept catch and release. He looks at me and ask how come they are keeping their fish. It's a difficult battle, but one well worth the effort.

Basically, unless dictated by law, catch and release is a personal choice. As long as they were legally catching the fish, it is their choice whether to keep it or not. I agree that we should all follow the same laws, and ignorance of such laws is no excuse. I just don't think it should be generalized between American/Non-American, immigrant/non-immigrant or English/non-English speaking people.

John

See what you caused Mike!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member