Thread: Salmonflies on the Deschutes

Default Salmonflies on the Deschutes

If it is June, it is time for the salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes. Big bugs mean big fish and big crowds, but the Deschutes is a big girl herself and can....aaahhhhmmm....accomodate quite a few anglers if ya know what I mean.
    She is a dandy ribbion of water, beginning at the base of the South Sister, trickling south, gathering steam, then sobers up and takes a huge u-turn and heads in the only direction sanity permits, north!!! The ribbion of life carves out some dramatic canyons in the arid High Desert of Oregon, and houses some dandy trout, the desert redside.
    So quit the job, sell the house, wife and kids, buy a canopy and a sheee-load of sunscreen (shade is scarce), and head north to the home of big fish, big bugs, big water, and even bigger women. Unfortunately, some things are bigger than we wish.

I wish I could do all of the above, except the part about Oregon women. Just reading about salmonflies gets my heart racing. Nothing like it in the world. I would give anything to be on the mighty Deschutes, never been there though.

Ed,
    It's a heck of a scene; salmonflies and golden stones hatching at the same time. Always some caddis around. Fish can be taken all day long but the evening is the best. Plenty of spots to camp (darn little shade) and tons of river to fish. Around 8-9 hours from Sacramento. Two shops to call for info: The Patient Angler in Bend, and Numb Butts in Madras.

Chuck Campana said the giant salmon flies were just starting on the upper Rogue River at the "Holy Water".
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Madras????

Hey OS,.... I'd ask for the phone number of Numb Butts in Madras but I'd be willing to bet it's a state office Bldg....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I fished the salmon fly hatch on the Holy Water a couple years ago...it's an amazing experience! If you get a chance to get there while it's on you'll have a blast!!

SullyTM Guest

Numb Butts I love it...Gotta have one of their t-shirts The Deschutes sounds like another of those desination spots. Hopefully OS will keep things honest until I can plan a trip...

Default Numb butts

I'm guessing the fellas that own the shop have tied a few too many flies in their time. My name for a shop: Pinched Nerve In The Neck.
    One peice of their fame is a salmonfly pattern used widely on the Deschutes. Mostly a Kauffman's stimulator, but instead of an elk wing they use a tannish calftail wing. Not as exact as most patterns, but more productive. Always go with the stats and not the eyes.