Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Message from Rober Bloom w/CA DF&G

SullyTM Guest

Default Mortality

'Slack...Did you here the news of the 124lb blue catfish caught and manhandled in an attempt to verify that it was a world record with the desire to put it in a tank for public display...Needless to say it's compost now! OK...OK, I'm still ranting about these guys who wanted thier 15 minutes of fame Consider me a sour puss today!!! SullyTM

Default Barbed vs Barbless Project....

OK guys,.... The cat's fed, I'm fed and feeling sufficiently paranoid to stir up some stuff.... .

After reading the reply, It's obvious that there is a broader meaning to "....landing efficiency...." than I attributed to it . I'm still feeling that this project is unecessary . If majority of the "....latest literature...." support the idea that there is little impact on Trout at the population level whether hooks are barbless or not, why is further study needed Also, what does hooking/landing efficiency have to do with whether a person could keep a fish they caught

Now, my theory comes out..... If you accept the literature/statements concerning barbless vs barbed hooks, it seems to me that relaxing the requirement to use barbless hooks (without benefit of a project) is all that is necessary.... . However, if your objective is to increase catch rates (....of hatchery raised fish in particular ), you might want to know which hooks are best for landing fish and promote their use . Thereby, increasing the need for hatchery production/stocking of fish and the value of hatcheries.... .

WOW, I suddenly have a need to watch an episode of X-FILES... . "The Truth is Out There...."
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, the study I want to see is a comparison of factory barbless to those crimped down by the fly tyer with a pair of pliers. I'd like them to do away with this nonsense of ticketing fly fishers using crimped barbs that won't pass the silk shirt test. Sorry, just had to get that out of the system.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Crimped Barbs....

Hi Mike,..... If I recall correctly, the subject of crimped barbs was hashed out in an earlier topic on this BB... . That problem could be an inadvertant benefit of this project if the reg's requiring use of barbless hooks are relaxed.... .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Conspircy theory: no.....Conpsiracy truth: yes

Darian,
    Of course there is a secret agenda lurking at the DFG, but it is much more sinister than you believe. Do you know who really runs DFG? Friggin' Ollie North!!! He no longer runs the show from the basement of the White House, of course you recall he got booted from that gig, but now does his deals from the basement (he hates being above ground) of a radio station in San Diego. Ollie's agenda? What has always been Ollie's agenda: the conquest of Central America. The poor boy suffers from some sort of Napoleon/Cortez syndrome.
    Anyhoo, here's how his plan works: he siphons off tax dollars through the DFG and is hatcheries as training facilities for his invasion force. Do you think those smiling people feeding the fish are harmless? Hell no...killers in training!!! Has anyone gone into those buildings along the raceways lately. I tell you no, because they are not spawning huts but bomb factories.
    Ollie doesn't just use tax dollars he has a private source, and since they locked up his favorite drug dealer Noriega, he has gone to a much darker source: late night infomercials. The l"little giant ladder system" is his. Those juicers...all his. Hell that crazy wide eyed guy, The Juiceman is a high ranking official in his private army. Just about any peice of crap you will buy for 19.95, use once then stuff in the attic, Ollie has a grip on.

Default more conspiracy

The invasion will happen just after Ah-nold gets the boot in 2006. The Governator is in the scheme also. Since he can't be president here, Ollie has promised a dictatorship in his country of choosing. Sinister, sinsister, sinister!!!
    How blind and apathetic the public has become to all the conspiracies that abound. Tomorrow's enlightment: Fidel Castro's secret school of poisonous dolphins. Florida bathers beware!!!

Hi Sully - Yea, I read about the catfish that was killed b/c Cabella's wanted to put it in a tank.

What a bunch of fools!! This reminds me of the people I used to see fishing the tail waters in Missouri and Arkansas with their stringers full of beautiful browns and rainbows being drug over the rocks and parking lots. Granted they were put and take waters...

I just can't identify with people who are about catching boatloads of fish and totally miss the overall experience. This is why I never picked up conventional fishing. Where I grew up conventional fisherman used powerbait and livebait, and had no respect for the experience, or the environment.

To each his own....
    RdC

PowerBait? My favorite is the rainbow-colored one that is kind of salmon/orange and green-colored. Has to be the premium version with glitter in it though.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Conspiracy Truth???

Hey OC,..... D'ya mean to tell me that there's a connection between Ollie North, the Governator and Napolean

Ya know, there's a bunch of Porpoise in the Sea Cortez.... . Ya gotta watch out for them Bottle Nose Dolphin..... Always sneakin' around trying to move in your personal stash of tequila.... Mean drunks, they are, too... .

Crap, I maght have to re-think my vacation plans for Baja.....

Author unknown

Fished Putah Creek yesterday with great success (for my standards) hooked 10 landed 1. I do think it changes the landing efficiency but, the only time that I'm sorry I pinch my barbs is when the reel starts to sing and then slack. Still trying to figure out how to strip line in faster than a fish can turn. Love to have fishy photos but hearing the line go and seeing the rod bent is just as good of memory.

Still must take a picture once in a while, The wife can't figure out how we can spend all day knee deep in water so I try to show her the joy in my face