Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Message from Rober Bloom w/CA DF&G

Default Barbless???

FHTFYR,..... There shouldn't be any doubt about whether a barbed hook is a more efficient tool for hooking/landing a fish than a barbless one... . If the point made by Roger is correct, apparently, more people want to keep fish than we realize.... Therefore, the need for barbed hooks in waters that're now governed by the special regulations.... .

Sounds OK unless you think about the waters in those reg's. There being no restriction in the project on which waters are to be included, said waters might include anadromous fisheries including those that currently are home to endangered species (especially salmonids).... .

An unintended side affect of this project might be an increase in the bag limits in those sensitive areas as well... . Taken in the context where recent decisions by federal courts have determined that there is no genetic distinction between hatchery and non-hatchery fish, it's not much of a stretch... .

After having said all of that, it should be known that I, on occasion, keep a fish (always a hatchery bred Salmonid) for the table. So, I'm n ot condeming anyone else that does the same.... I'm just not sure that this project is needed for changing the special reg's as stated... .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Geller has actually traveled the entire state of Oregon trying to substanciate the mith that the Indians did mate with the Buffalo.

The Ozarks has nothing on Oregon as far as genetics gone arye is concerned especially in Hamlet.

You are discriminated in his area if you do still have all your own teeth. It is a sure fire way for locals to weed out the 'furiners'.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Hamlet...where reason takes a holiday

You are right Kiene....and I bet you could graph a relationship between the gene pool (or lack of diversity therein) and elevation. Fifteen miles up the road lies Jewell Oregon, a real holdout for proper dental care. The last Saturday in June they have the "Ya' Sure Got A Purty Mouth Parade". Lot of Ellie Mae's and Jethro's up yonder, and socks are for "them thar' speecial occasionaries".
    Poor Jewell...takes a beating in these parts.

Default Nothin' worse than a nosey bottlenose

Darian,
    That is how those bottlenosed evovled; thieving tequila from the local fisherman. The theory is the drunk ones, those with the slimmest snouts, outspawned and outfought the fat snouts, erasing them from the ocean. Carrie Nation got her ass kicked in the dolphin world.
    How does that old saying go??? I'd rather have a bottlenose beneath me than his nose in my bottle...

Default Jewell OR???

SOCKS Do people wear SOCKS
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Back To The Project!!!!

Not wanting to leave even one pot unstirred, I sent an E-mail to DFG asking some additional questions and making a few observations about the project... .

Probably need to remove the street address from in front of my house now... . You know those politico's 'll be lookin' for me... . Somethin's stirrin' outside... . Gotta go now.................

Author unknown

Default HEY!!!!!

Just wanna keep this topic at the top... . Lest we forget

Author unknown

Default Volunteers???

Has anyone volunteered to participate in this project If so, please share your experiences

Author unknown

Default Latest.....????

Just received a reply from DFG to my prior observations/questions. A partial qoute of the info in the reply indicates:

"....there is no preconceived idea on what the
    outcome of the study will be. The goal of the study is to provide
    baseline information for which we can base management decisions on. I
    feel it is CDFG responsibility to the anglers of the State to make
    informed decisions based on (as much as possible) sound biological
    information."

Since info about the impact of using barbed vs barbless hooks on Trout at the population level already exists (per prior statement of DFG), the study of landing efficiency of certain hooks probably won't contribute any additional/pertinent info. So, I guess it's wait and see..... Hope I'm wrong about this but.....

Author unknown