Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Message from Rober Bloom w/CA DF&G

Default Message from Rober Bloom w/CA DF&G

Fellow anglers,
    I thought I would pass-on an invitation for a study on barbless flies (see info below). This will be a great opportunity to gather some great data, meet some new people, see some new water, and ultimately catch some trout!!! There has been lots of speculation regarding the landing efficiency (or lack there of) of barbed hooks, however very very little research to support any conclusions. This study will hopefully provide some significant results that can not only help answer some of these questions but also help simplify our angling regulations. I have secured many private waters, along with some closed waters, to conducted the study. This should allow anglers to experience high catch-per-unit-effort and provide an incentive if you need one!! Please review the background information and get back to me ASAP.

Thanks,
    Roger

As fisheries managers, the California Department of Fish and Game
    (CDFG) is tasked with developing and maintaining quality sport fishing opportunities while balancing the need to protect and monitor the aquatic resources. Utilizing sport fishing regulations as a management tool can have a substantial impact on the existing fisheries and, if used appropriately, can enhance angling opportunities. Currently, California has various combinations of freshwater fishing regulations on rivers and lakes that require the use of barbless hooks.

To help assess the efficacy of current special regulations, CDFG is initiating a study to assess the landing efficiency of barbed verses barbless hooks. This study will utilize volunteers to conduct the angling portion of the project. Volunteers will be placed in three different groups based on their fly(s) selection (streamer, nymph, or dry fly). Volunteers can choose to be in multiple groups or just one based the number of different flies they choose to use. Once the appropriate water, date, and number of anglers are chosen for a given water/sampling day, volunteers will be randomly selected from the different fly groups. Volunteers will then be contacted by CDFG to verify that their participation. If a volunteer cannot participate then another volunteer will be randomly chosen from the appropriate group until the target number of volunteers for that sampling day is reached.
    Numbers of volunteers selected for each sampling day will depend on habitat limitations and logistical constraints.

Anglers will only be selected for one type of fly for each sampling day. Sampling days will be divided into two sampling periods (morning/afternoon). Volunteers will actively fish for only one period during the day, during the other period they will serve as an observer and will not actively fish. These periods will be randomly selected for each volunteer. Time spent as the observer is mandatory for all volunteers. The observer will be responsible for, among other things, making the study "blind" by assisting the active angler with the fly, thus not allowing the angler to see whether he or she is using a barbed or barbless hook. During the course of each sampling period the angler will systematically change hook treatments (with the help of the
    observer) based on pre-determined time blocks.

Prior to sampling volunteers will be trained in sampling protocols and be given the necessary field gear. Volunteers will be responsible for providing all terminal tackle, except for flies. Flies will be standardized by hook size/type, however, to allow flexibility, anglers will be able to choose from a variety of patterns and or colors.
    Volunteers will be required to have some flyfishing experience, however all skill levels are welcome.

Study sites will consist of, but not be limited to, public/private lakes and streams in northern California and the eastern Sierra Nevada.
    The fishing portion of study will begin in May 2005 and continue into the fall of 2006. Anglers interested in volunteering should contact Roger K. Bloom at the CDFG Fisheries Programs Branch at (916) 445-3597 or rbloom@dfg.ca.gov. Anglers will need to provide the fly group(s) they are interested in and current contact information (phone # or email preferred). Additional information can also be obtained from Roger K. Bloom.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Study of Barbless Hooks???

Before reading this post, let's understand that I do not wish to demean the efforts of the DFG . Nor am I attempting to discourage participation by anyone in this study . Generally I'm supportive of staff efforts... .

But ...., I would like to know why a study of the "....landing efficiency...." is necessary, at all. Isn't hooking/landing efficiency the realm of hook mfgrs And, If so, wouldn't that data already be available from them

Where is this study going Might this be a move to force use of circle hooks Not likely, since the latter hook is designed to address fish mortality aftedr release....

I'm curious about why California Trout or Trout Unlimited have expressed no interest in this area These organizations certainly have spent a lot of time/money working toward supporting the decision for barbless.....

Interesting that this study only addresses landing efficiency of barbless hooks for Trout (whether hatchery bred or native). Anadromous species are not included..... . Could the potential demise of the hatchery system be a portent of things to come If all Trout fishing is barbless there'll be less need for hatcheries, maybe

I'd really like more info about this from DFG... . Guess I'll be asking some questions, direct.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

Here is Roger's email address.

I am sure he would love anyone to email him with questions and ideas.

I think this is a grass roots local study that they feel is necessary or they would not be putting this much effort and money into it.

We here at the shop have been working for month with Roger to get a list of the most popular fly patterns used locally in CA. I believe that Umpqua Feather Mechants, the largest supplier of commercially tied flies, is helping Roger as well.

Roger was born and raised right here and is also a fly fisher. He normally helps run the CA DF&G Wild Trout Program and is a great person to have on our side.

RBloom@dfg.ca.gov
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Circle hooks

Darian,
    I've been out of the mainstream fly fishing loop for awhile and you can help me on this question: what is the reason for circle hooks? And why must that Steller Jay taunt me with his piliated appeal?

Geller,

One idea for the circle hook in many fisheries is the fact that they usually hook the fish in the corner of the mouth making it easier to release.

In our case here in Sacramento we are now using them because the top year round striper fly fishers like Andy Guibord and Jim Christensen say they loose about 10% of the flies they use to fishing around snags in the river ands Delta where the Stripers seem to hang out.

The net effect is the fact that they don't have to loose 10 to 12 flies a day now. Instead they loose 1 to 2 flies to snags. The snags are usually down trees and root systems under water that afford cover for bait fish and attrack Stripers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Circle Hooks.....

Hey OC,..... According to everything I've read on this, circle hooks result in hooking in the corner of the mouth (as Bill has said) because the point of the hook does not tend to hook into the gut when set. It slides along in soft tissue until encounters cartilege or bone, then rolls to set up... . The result is a lower loss of fish after release if handled correctly..... This is, supposedly, the case whether using bait/fly or lure... .

Probably not a good description of what circle hooks do as I'm not an expert in the mechanics of this... . Maybe someone who really understands it could weigh in with a clearer explanation.... .

About the Stellar Jay, I had no idea that any Jay pilliated, at all... . Gotta update my logs. It might be a call for reinforcements.... . When Woodpeckers do that it's UGLY .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Look, the issue isn't barb or no barb.

I have seen countless people, and seen countless photos of catches, where the angler mishandles the fish either keeping it of the water too long, laying it in dirt for the photo opp., playing way too long, etc. All of these things, we know, lead to dead or unhealthy fish ---- regardless of whether or not there was a barb on the hook.

People will still unknowingly kill fish even though they fish with barbless hooks.

On a side note, a few years ago I started using barbless flies after fishing on Hot Creek Ranch. I thought it would make a difference, but the only difference it made was it became nice and easy to release a poorly hooked fish. I rarely had to bring the fish entirely out of the water. I now only fish barbless - by mashing the barb down with pliers - because it doesn't tear the fish's mouth. And, hey, if I lose a fish or two b/c the hook didn't have a barb, that's all part of the game and soon I'll develop a new skill. :P :P :P
    RdC

Default Landing Efficiency....

Hey Slack,..... You have correctly stated the real problem (e.g. mortality rates)... . This project will not address that issue... . It is intended to "....assess the efficacy of current special regulations." That's a nebulous explanation. I'm not sure where in the reg's it says anything about landing efficiency. Barring a more detailed explanation from DFG, it would appear that there is little to be gained from this project that should concern DFG.

If the result of this project will result in potential changes to the reg's, could those changes mandate specific hooking/landing rates or certaim brands of hooks Who knows.... But, this project appears to have a hidden agenda

My uneasiness with this project proposal has resulted in an E-mail note to Roger at DFG for more information.... .

Man, where's Oregon Salmon when I need support for my conspiracy theory

Author unknown

Go Get 'Em Darian
    RdC

Default Questions/Response from DFG....

Following are the texts of DFG's response to my e-mail note and the original questions (in that order):

Darian,
    All really good questions! The main reason I initiated this study is
    due to the fact that CDFG is managing over 50 waters (inland only) under
    a barbless reg with a bag limit of 1-5 fish. If there is no significant
    difference in hooking mortality between barbed and barbless hooks (most
    of the recent literature supports that) at the population level, then
    why should we (CDFG) potentially limit catch rates by requiring barbless
    hooks? There are obvious reasons why folks want and should potentially
    use barbless hooks (safety, post-release injuries, reduced handling
    time), however if those factors are not affecting the fishery on a
    population level and folks want to keep fish, we should evaluate the
    existing regs and the efficacy of barbless hooks in regards to landing
    efficiency. The study design and statical analysis will address most of
    the variables you probably thought of, however ultimately we must
    constrain/standardize the study to keep it simple. The reason this is a
    fly only study is based on angler survey data which revealed a
    overwhelming preference for using flies only in our special regulation
    waters throughout the state (27 waters/13,000 anglers from 1999-2003).
    If you want more details or have some other questions please feel free
    to call me.

Sincerely,
    Roger Bloom

Roger K. Bloom
    Associate Fisheries Biologist
    California Department of Fish and Game
    Fisheries Programs Branch
    1812 9th Street
    Sacramento, Ca. 95814
    Office: (916) 445-3597
    Fax (916) 445-4044
    rbloom@dfg.ca.gov

>>> "Darian Calhoun" <colquhoun@quiknet.com> 05/26/05 11:30 AM >>>
    Hello Roger,.... I'm a dedicated fly fisherman who has used Barbed and
    barbless hooks over the course of my life in fishing.... I read your
    message thru Bill @ Kiene's Bulletin Board that you're conducting a
    study to determine the "....landing efficiency...." of barbed vs
    barbless hooks.... In the context of your note, the information derived
    from this study is to "....help assess the efficacy of current special
    regulations." What are the goals/objectives of this project??? I guess
    I'm not quite sure why the landing efficiency of any hook is a concern
    of DFG.....

Another issue for me is the methodology involved in this project.
    Certainly, the various skill levels of the volunteers will skew the
    outcome and information obtained..... And, why only flies?? Or am I
    jumping to a conclusion here???

I'd really like to know/understand what the intended outcome of this
    project is....

Thanks,

Darian Calhoun

Well, it shouild be obvious that there's change afoot here... . Not sure what at this point... . I haven't digested all of it yet....

Author unknown