Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry-fly hackle question -

bill - Did you know Ed Story ?? He ran Feather-craft out of St. Louis , Mo. but used to be a seal-hunter ( !!!!!!) here back in the early 50s . I B.S. w/ him every now and again and love the stories about the "old" stuff people tyed with .

Most of us "younger" guys now a days have NO IDEA just how good we have it - I mean .... life without Flashabou ?? You must be joking !!!!

David

I would say that 90% of what we have today did not exist back then.

Many bought their tying supplies from the Herter’s catalog.

Some bought from Buz's mail order in Visalia. It was out of Buz's garage. I was there once myself.

Don Frasier was in Ruff and Ready near Grass Valley.

Art Dadini was in Ferndale off the Eel River.

For fly tying material wholesalers we had 'Hash's Herl & Hackle' and the 'Hackle House' who would call on the sporting goods stores that I worked at from 1965 to 1975. They had postage stamp size pieces of fur on the hide.

Yes, even then packaged dubbing did not exist. You bought everything on the hide. There was no synthetic stuff either.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default The Good Ol' Days....

Yep,.... The Hackle House was located in San Carlos in the Bay Area not very far from where I lived. Still have some Polar Bear I bought from 'em at $0.50 a package .

Also, still have the original Pflueger 1495 1/2 fly reel I bought from a shop named Imbert & Smithers in San Carlos.... (still very usable in spite of all I put it thru ). Loaned my Fenwick FF 85 glass fly rod to a friend who wanted to get started fly fishing.... Haven't seen it since (hope it's still peforming as well for him as it did for me ).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Bill, you did not raise your own chickens??? I can see it now!

SullyTM Guest

Default Hackle This

Darian...Check out the website http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwhackel/
    That is, for the most part how I tie in hackels. Sometimes I tie them it by the feather tip...I'm not a purist so palmering hackles properly is lost on me...Yes, it is a bummer getting old, but it beats the alternative...Thom

Hey Rick,

I remember some of my customers would go to an auction and by old roosters for $2? Live roosters...........

We stopped for road kills too.

People would bring me deer and elk hides and I would use them too.

I once had a Polar Bear hide.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

SullyTM Guest

Bill...Nothing wrong with recycling roadkill. When I was in Michigan in April I got some nice roadkill bucktail hair and some red squirrel tail hair. Couldn't find any dead black squirrels! My rental wasn't fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by SullyTM
    Bill...Nothing wrong with recycling roadkill. When I was in Michigan in April I got some nice roadkill bucktail hair and some red squirrel tail hair. Couldn't find any dead black squirrels! My rental wasn't fast enough
    Thom -

Good one ! David

Default Recycling Road Kill????

Thom,.... By recycling I assume you're talking about fly tying materials, not...... Oh,..... Nevermind :P
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Darian...Unlike the Beverly Hillbillies, I DID NOT throw Bambie on the hood of my car! Though venison stew did cross my mind Oh, one other thing. I always have a pair of rubber gloves and baggies in the trunk just in case...