Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strangest day on the water !!

Default carp

I too have been bummed that the American has been virtually unfishable. But today I found a couple ponds close to home in which I spotted a couple carp. They all looked to be about 2-5 pounds. I'm going back Friday morning after them.

Great to see ya here , Blake - you have a VERY cool website !!!!!

Toss a Dragon or Damsel nymph at those critters .... if that don't get 'em , use worms -

or ...... Go drink Beer

David -----

David,

Great fish. I've been checking out the local lakes around here for the feeding carp. The water is still way too high but it's dropping.
    Like I mentioned at my tying session, carp are definitly on the top of my list. They are spookier than a bone, better sensing ability and will get you the fight of your life. My biggest has been 14lbs on a 5 wt.
    Sounds like I might have to take a trip to the ditch. I need a few more shots of Mr. Golden Lips for my new slide show. I want to get a close up shot of the lateral line and a good shot of their head structure.

I just love it when people snub their noses up to the carp. One less person I will see on the banks of the lake

Jay

After David's great adventure, I decided to visit the local cement pond to fish for some carp. It was like a carp super highway on the pond today. Carps were everywere, just cruising back and forth and rolling around. In fact, they were not spooked by my presence at all or cared that I was there. I tried about 10 different flies and they just ignored it. A very frustrating situation. Finally decided to give up and go fish for blue gills and bass.

Gills and bass seem to be a lot easier to catch than those carps. I think I am going to tie on some cheerios next time to see if prefer cheerios over flies.

John

Stick w/ your flies , JPY ... It only takes one "happy" Carp to get ya going !! Try a Dragon or Damsel nymph .... and hang on for dear life .

David

Hey JPY

Is there any of that cotton seeds blowing around. Carp just love sipping on those litttle white balls of fluff. Take some CDC and tie it to a TMC 2487 and cast to "sipping" carp, not a crusier. Or maybe fish a dragon fly nymph on an intermediate line. I've had excellent results using a bead head zug bugs tied on a 200R in size 4 & 6's

Gotta start checking out the local ponds now that the weather has been in the 90's for two weeks

Bugle Lips arisen

Jay

I tried a dragonfly nymph but not the zug bug. Need to try that next. Fishing for carp is definitely interesting in that you are actually trying to target a specific fish that you see. Just need to keep telling myself to be patient.

John