Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuba go down!

Default Yuba go down!

Hey fellas when do you think the flows on the Yuba will start to slack off? I've been seeing my girlfriend, as my wife calls the river, and she's been to high to wade far and wide safely. Could some of you Yuba veterans give me an idea of when she might be back to say around 1500 cfs. I went to the reports part of Kiene's web site and went back as far as mid Febuary. I saw crazy flows as high as 10,000 cfs and flows as low as 892 cfs. Hard to believe it varies so much and harder still to figure why.
    Thanks for any input.
    2short

Default Yuba In-Stream Flows....

In stream flows for the Yuba vary widely due to the power/water needs of those communities/farmers downstream from dams such as DaGuerre, Englebright and Bullards Bar. When rice or other farmers need water, it is drawn off at DaGuerre. That affects the river most of the spring/summer/fall. Both of the reservoirs upstream seem to be kept at higher levels. So, when it rains, they're already full and spill quickly... .

Having said that, I've had some very good days fishing for Shad below DaGuerre during cold/high flows in late May.... It's probably less than the American, anyway... .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Even in August, well after the snow run-off I've seen it at 2k cfs. There are fish to be had without wading too far with these flows.

Try casting from the bank with some dries since fish are going to be a bit closer now. Reports from my reliable sources say some fish are within a roll cast away.

My favorite dicipline on this river is streamer fishing. Hell..Take a dredger line and let that baby swing through a sweet run while stripping fast to the bank.

For me personally; Wading is only needed when the prime riffle I'm targeting is on the other side of the bank I'm fishing.

Yes... the flows are high. But these conditions should bring out the best in every FF to try techniques they are not used to. Why wait... I'll be there tommorow nite.... OH YEAH.....
    Ray Rivera

My boys and I have had very good days on the Yuba when the flows are 3000 +. To me when the water temp.is 55+ is when I feel the Yuba really turns on.

Cody hooked this fish on a Woolhead Sculpin next to the willows with the flows very high. The water was up and behind all the willows. We hooked over 15 fish each this day. the water was very high 4000 +but clear and 54deg.

Take care
    -Rob

Thanks for all the info! I'll definatly have to start trying new methods to get the fish and pay more attention to water temps.
    thanks again!
    2short

I would expect the flows to stay high for a while, especially with the storms that we just had. but that isnt always a bad thing. the high flows will cause alot of fish to move to the edge, making them easier to catch(especially for the beginning casters). as long as the flows and temperatures are consistant the fish will start to turn on again. good luck.

I just watched the weather channel and it looks like another week of rain for us, guess those streams won't be going down any time soon. Mabie I'll see you on the river.

Default Unfortunately....

I do not think you will be seeing flows come down anytime soon. Bullard's Bar is at 92% capacity and there is still A LOT of run off to go. My understanding from those in the know is that there is at least one more month (minimum) at these flows.

I fished it on Friday and Saturday. Fish can be had but it ain't easy. Keep trying nymphs - copper johns, bird's nests, FPT, caddis pupa, micro mayflies. Make a couple of casts, change and try again. The fish are not active. You almost have to hit them right in the head before they respond. I caught 7 on Friday and 4 on Saturday using everything I had except for dries. There is virtually no surface action.

Be careful. At 4000 there is a lot of push. One bad step and you can dump.

I have been seeing alot of reports regarding storms. What kind of weather has central and northern california been getting. Looks like I better get my winter clothes out.

Jay

Fished the Yuba the afternoon of 5/14 around the highway 20 bridge and landed a 15 incher on a flashback hare's ear. Fished yesterday morning (5/15) throught the UC property upstream (won the lottery for access!). 18+ inchers were jumping clear out of the water, presumably chasing caddis. I only landed two fish but one was measured at just over 19 inches and a little too big for my net (below). It fought like crazy and took me quite a way downstream before my friend could net it. We both fought and lost several others around that size. All of mine were on #18 beadhead pheasant tail flashbacks behind a yellow-legged brown yuck bug. A 16-incher took the yuk bug. It was pretty much bank fishing with the flows so high, but I would go again in a second even under those conditions.

Don C.