Thread: Knots

SullyTM Guest

Default Knots

I am moving towards loop-to-loop ends for tippet connection to leader end. There are many knots for making a loop. Some hard to tie(Bimini), some easier( Blood Bight Knot). In lue of buying tippets and leaders with loops already constructed, if you're doing loop-to-loop what knots are you using? I know the bimini is supposed to be 100% break resistant but it is tough to tie. Thanks and keep those knots tight! Thom

I've been using a perfection loop for loop to loop connections between leader and flyline and have not had any problems even with larger fish in the salt.
    I'm just too darn lazy for a bimini although some guys I know swear by the bimini for its' shock absorption.
    -Paul

spider hitch is suppose to be a 100% knot - does not have quite the shock absorption of the bimini but much easier to tie. The Bimini is not really that hard once you spend a bit of time with it.

I would highly recommend getting Bill Nash's book and videos on knots - he makes the bimini look really easy!!!

SullyTM Guest

Default Knots

Rick and Paul...I've been working on the spider knot...just have to get the loop to be smaller. The bimini is a work in progress... The surgeon's loop and blood bight knots are good knots but I don't know what their "strength" is. Thanks for the info. Thom

Thom, for attaching tippet to leader using loops, I've used the Lefty Kreh's non-slip loop knot. I've never had a problem with the knot breaking or slipping, but I got the impression that the monofilament was cutting into itself where the loops loop onto each other, just like monofilament cuts into itself when you get a wind knot. So, I gave up on tippet-to-leader loops and went back to permanent blood knots for this connection.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Knots!!!

All I can say is, knots to you

In my experience, I've found very little need for anything other a perfection loop or surgeons knot for anything in fresh water... . Saltwater is a horse of a different color . There I've used the Spider Hitch almost exclusively . Don't like taking time to tie Bimini's but would do so if running into large fish... .

I agree with Rick. Get hold of bill Nash's book/dvd for good/usable info....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Talk about opening up a can of knots! The Lefty's loop knot was taught to me on the AR by Sir David Lee...and there was a test! I never thought about using it for loop-to-loop connection. I'll give it a try. My intention in all of this is to not cut into my leader and to be able to quickly attach the appropriate tippet. I may be fooling myself with all of this, however, ya don't know unless you give it a whirl...I'll look for the Nash Knot book locally. Thanks. thom

Most use a perfection loop in the larger part of a leader system near the top and then down in the tippet area you can use a surgeons loop but most just use a surgeons knot to attach tippets.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

SullyTM Guest

Default knots

Bill...Thanks. The trend is toward pre-tied tippets(Orvis offers them)with a loop at one end so the angler can switch out tippets with a looped end leader...saving you from eating into the leader. I guess it's a matter of choice of which loop knot to use. Thom

P.S. How is the American looking? Weather is warming up but are the flows down?