Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MAY Fly Swap UPDATE

Next weekend?!? I had interpreted the due date as May 27.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

Default May Swap

Hairstacker...You're right! I'm wrong...Weekend of May 28. Sorry guys!

Thom/Swappers - I have to change my fly for the swap (those #@$%^&@' tiny dry Damsels ain't workin' out so well .... ) .

Let's make this one a suprise , in case I ruin my next choice .

David

David, I was going to say, every dry damsel fly pattern I've ever seen looked like a sure recipe for insanity.
    -- Mike

Mike - Ever spin a perfect ball of deer-hair 2/3rds the size of a pea ????

It was a nice idea , but to be honest , goofin' 'round w/ #14 hooks and good spinning hair isn't in the cards anytime soon - I'll take-up Brain sugerey first . David

Default Dinky Lil' Flies

David,
    I have to agree with you about tying those little flies after tying a bunch of striper stuff. You kind of have to get your brain in a mind set and think differently when changing to something else you don't use that often.

Also, if you're like me, I'm having to use those reading glasses more and more, and those little flies are just a little tougher to tie.

Have fun,
    TONY

SullyTM Guest

Default MAY Swap

David...Surprise away!

I've been sitting on some #20 dry fly hooks for a year and have never tried to tie one...to SMALL for Mr. Clutz! Well this weekend I gave it a try and I almost threw the whole kit-and-kabootal in the trash!!! And to think there are tiers who can do #22, #24, #26 and beyond! My local fly shop guy said just tie in the color thread to match the pattern. Don't bother with any dubbing and tie in a parachute type post. DONE!!!

Heard on the weather it could reach 90 degrees this weekend. GREAT! Just in time for my son's high school graduation! Gotta get a panama straw hat! Thom

Thom, I have found it REALLY helps to sneak up on those size 20 and smaller hooks. If I need a range of sizes of, say, Parachute Adams, what I do is tie half a dozen size 14s, then half a dozen size 16s, then half a dozen size 18s, and ONLY then tie the size 20s and so on. If you approach it that way, you'll hardly notice the incremental reductions in size as you migrate to each smaller-sized hook. I have found it much easier than trying to tackle the size 20 or smaller hooks head on. It works for me.
    -- Mike

Send hooks to me along with pattern requests and I will take care of it for you guys.... I even have some size 32's I will throw in..... moving in a couple weeks but after that I can whip out whatever pretty fast, especially in that size as it doesn't take long to fill those hooks up....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Mike's suggestion is on the money. I do the same thing when stepping down to 24's,etc.
    Especially after tying large saltwater patterns, the size change can be overwhelming.
    One thing I've found is kinda cool for fishing super tiny patterns is using a larger pattern with the tiny pattern as a dropper.
    Gives a point of reference for locating that little guy.
    A cool way of doing this so you don't have to tie off on the hook bend is having a set of indicator flies with a mono loop coming off the back end.
    I'm typically using a size 16 humpy or bleached elk hair caddis for visibility with a 6x loop on the back, tied first with the rest of the pattern on top.
    Hope to join you guys on the next swap!
    -Paul