Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayaking the Lower American

Default Kayaking the Lower American

This board is a great resource, thanks for fantastic info. this community provides.

A friend and I are planning to float the Lower American to try our hand at flyfishing for Stripers from kayaks.

Had planned on putting in at Howe and floating to Discovery Park. Would it be possible to target Discovery Park as a take out point. Having never been there I'm unsure if that would be a good takeout spot.

The StreamTime map says the Discovery Cove Launch/Take out is only for Motorized Boats, so I wanted to check with those who may be more familiar with the area.

Any help or guidance is appreciated

Hello JWruck1,

I'm not positive, but I think you can take out on the South side of the river just before it hits the Sac. at Discovery Park. I believe you take a turn off before you go over the bridge after entering the park. There is a pretty nice beach type area there where you should be able to take out and carry your kayaks up to the parking lot (a short walk). I would check it out before going, I've never done it. The Ranger at the entry station should be of help if it's occupied.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

The launch ramp above the mouth to the right is only neccessary for large boats on trailers.

You can just beach it on the left heading down stream after you near the mouth as MSP mentions.

There is a parking lot on that south side.

98% of that lower river is like a slow moving lake and is 5 mph so it is very safe too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Stripers vs Kayaks????

Hmmmmm,..... If you get a large Striper while in your Kayak, the take out point you might want to consider will be Freeport..... :P :P :P Good ride, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Kayaking Lower American

Thanks for everyones help - sure hope Darian's hypothetical case holds true

Default Kayaking Lower American

Thanks for everyones help - sure hope Darian's hypothetical case holds true

Hey JWruck

That sounds like a blast.

Can't wait to hear your report.

I plan on floating it in my Kayak in the next few weeks.

what kind of Kayaks do you have??

Take care
    -Rob

Nice boat.

Mine is very similar to the style you have.

However, the brand is an Old Town, Model 16T. I installed an after market rudder as well. I also put some flush mount rod holders and Scotty Fly Rod Holders. The "T" designates a Tandem, however I have the seats moved up to pilot solo.

Always looking for ride shares for my two person boat. It makes fishing easier by trading off duties - - one person casting, while the other paddles them into position.

Let me know when you head out - - I have another die hard Kayaking friend that gets out much more than me - we can get a small group out. Would enjoy learning more about your Yuba float having never done that one. Might be fun for Shad this June.

I would be very interested in starting to kayak the American and fish. Any leads on the type of boat to get? I think I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible at least initially to see how I like it.

Thanks.

Default Boats/Kayaks/Pontoons....

Pearson,.... there's some info in the posts above and further down the Forum Index under Boats (Anyhting That Floats). The topic is Kayaks and Pontoons. Hairstacker has some good info on inflatable Kayaks, as well . Take a look.

Good luck
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown