Thread: Delta Blues

SullyTM Guest

Default Delta Blues

This past Sunday the COntra Costa Times ran a feature article: 'Environmental sirens in Delta are screaming' With the recent posts about the lack of fishing success on the American I found this article alarming.

The opening sentence will give you an idea of the article's tone. "The Delta's open-water fish populations are mysteriously collapsing in a crisis that threatens to unravel the food web of the West Coast's largest estuary."

"Delta populations of copepods are plummeting. The tiny organisms are the key food source for small fish, and their decline could damage the Delta food web."

Longfin smelt, Threadfin shad, striped bass...all are decling. What is causing this trend? There are plenty of "experts" trying to figure this out but a few culprits are mentioned. Toxins, yes those wonderful pesticides that are being used to eradicate invasive weeds/grasses and the Central Valley's use of toxins which drain into the Delta...Organic controls do work, but the corporate farming industry won't go that route. Invasive species are dramatically changing the Delta and finally Giant pumps at Byron and Tracy which move Delta waters to the Central Valley and Southern California...

CalFed has spent over $3 billion of our tax dollars in the past 10 years and some State water officials admit they can't fix the problem...What can be done? It would be political suicide to propose closing down ALL fishing for an extended period of time to let Mother/Father nature do its thing...You'll never get the farming conglomerates to change their ways and development!, well unless you stop people at the border from moving into California development will continue until there aren't any trees left on the planet.

The Delta is to valuable a waterway to let this get out-of-hand. Even though water flows are affecting the fishing on the American and other inland bodies, this cycle of declining marine life is probably going to continue...So, if anyone gets a chance to bend a politicians ear I suggest you do so! It's that or I'm moving to Oregon to be OregonSalmons neighbor. I can get used to electric fences!!!

Ranting done. Enjoy the rain!

Hi.
    Well, it looks like its the very same as here, EXCEPT, our Newspapers and media, haven't got the guts or brains to say so.

We have giant major problems here, there are government departments with all kinds of powers and still the problems grow.
    Kind regards,
    Barry.
    Kind regards,
    Barry.

Default Environment....

It seems that environmental concerns are a problem for all countries. It does seem that we live in a time when the actual political will to do anything positive about these problems doesn't exist. Indeed, many of our governmental policies appear to be in direct conflict with the solution to fishery problems. Maily, we see Lotsa talk but very little action. I hate to say it, but much of that is as a result of our own actions or inactions . The long term key to all of this is PARTICITATION, PARTICIPATION, PARTICIPATION

Too late for me to say I'm not lecturing... . As support of my contention, I would offer the example of a posting on a site in Canada (www.wwdoak.com). This letter appears to blame everyone but themselves for the declining state of the Atlantic Salmon fishery there and appears to discredit all citations of support by claiming that they're from anti-fishing folks. It does make other points but.... The main issue for them appears to be that even scientific findings're open to poiticizing and therefore are invalid.... Sound familiar At least the author(s) is taking a formal position .

Now, before your knee jerk reaction sets in, consider that all fishing (fly, bait, commercial or sport) contributes to declines when fisheries are stressed by other related problems already in place.... True, we do pay fees/taxes that support or sport..... But, how many of us actually participate in the debate at the state/national level How many letters have any of us sent to our representatives concerning bad or good F&G policies

The main thing this letter establishes is that politicians are the same the world over and that Canadian fisherman are in the same frame of mind we are; angry/frustrated

I, for one, will continue to be politically active (and fish...) at every opportunity.... One of the latest opportunities is the slot limit discussed/proposed for Striped Bass. This is just one example of how we can get involved.

It is becoming necessary to start thinking in terms of how to make politicians do more than pay lip service to our needs....

Sorry guys but this tuff really makes my blood boil
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Environment....

It seems that environmental concerns are a problem for all countries. It does seem that we live in a time when the actual political will to do anything positive about these problems doesn't exist. Indeed, many of our governmental policies appear to be in direct conflict with the solution to fishery problems. Maily, we see Lotsa talk but very little action. I hate to say it, but much of that is as a result of our own actions or inactions . The long term key to all of this is PARTICITATION, PARTICIPATION, PARTICIPATION

Too late for me to say I'm not lecturing... . As support of my contention, I would offer the example of a posting on a site in Canada (www.wwdoak.com). This letter appears to blame everyone but themselves for the declining state of the Atlantic Salmon fishery there and appears to discredit all citations of support by claiming that they're from anti-fishing folks. It does make other points but.... The main issue for them appears to be that even scientific findings're open to poiticizing and therefore are invalid.... Sound familiar At least the author(s) is taking a formal position .

Now, before your knee jerk reaction sets in, consider that all fishing (fly, bait, commercial or sport) contributes to declines when fisheries are stressed by other related problems already in place.... True, we do pay fees/taxes that support or sport..... But, how many of us actually participate in the debate at the state/national level How many letters have any of us sent to our representatives concerning bad or good F&G policies

The main thing this letter establishes is that politicians are the same the world over and that Canadian fisherman are in the same frame of mind we are; angry/frustrated

I, for one, will continue to be politically active (and fish...) at every opportunity.... One of the latest opportunities is the slot limit discussed/proposed for Striped Bass. This is just one example of how we can get involved.

It is becoming necessary to start thinking in terms of how to make politicians do more than pay lip service to our needs....

Sorry guys but this tuff really makes my blood boil
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Darian..I'm glad there are folks like you who can still get their blood boiling. Locally, I've been beating my head against a wall trying to get the local politicos to look at removing a concrete flood spillway, or build a fish ladder for migrating salmon. My cynical side sez it's all about $$$!

I try to do the "little" things. Whenever I go fishing, especially on a creek I bring a garbage bag. If I see people keeping fish in a catch and release area I call the local game warden(got the number on speed dial)...Whenever I come across a local politician in the course of my job I bend his/her ear regarding local waterways...Does it do any good???

Keep the faith and remember to change diapers when the first Tuesday in November rolls around. thom

Default Environment

Hi Thom,.... Good for you Thom .

We're the stewards of our hunting/fishing inheritance..... Without individual efforts like yours, Thom, what will our children's legacy be

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Default What to do?

Darian...Local newspapers usually list the contact information for local, state and federal representaives, including email addresses. Even though staffers do the replying, shoot off emails when the urge hits you. Sooner or later someone, somewhere will actually read one and pass along your concerns. My politcal ranting is over for today! Time to tie May Swap flies! Thom

Good morning.
    It would appear your problems are our problems also.

Here in Queensland, people got feed up with all the talk and no action from Pollie's and the dark greens that seem to run some government department, that a small group said, enough is enough !

From there decided the one way to get anything done was to hurt a pollie or two, and that could only be making him or her lose their seat, eg, no job.

This is how the Fishing Party started only a couple of years ago.
    At the first election, with almost no funds for advertising (could be also called, advertising lies) they hurt, big time.

With the value of the FP votes saved a couple of seats, no they owe, big time, from here 'they will' listen and they will do ! And have started to.

People in your land just might consider, really doing something that will made 'the powers' listen, and that by taking away someone's nice little job.

Rubbish about when I go fishing, I take a old shopping plastic bag with me and bit up a little each time, I can see the different, again, people at your end might do the same, as even one bit of rubbish removed will help, go 10 times..eg.. it all helps, and one day, maybe, every fisherman might collect 1 bit of rubbish, each time they go fishing.

Contacting 'our' fisheries inspectors, here its a huge joke !
    I have done a number of times, my sons have also.
    What happens NOTHING !
    Which makes the issue all look back to the first statement.
    Kind regards.
    Barry.
    Kind regards,
    Barry.

SullyTM Guest

Uncle B'...Thanks for the "Down Under" (no offense meant) perspective. Trust me, here in the U S of A money talks and BS walks! Do you think I'd get an audience with GUV ARNIE if I didn't contribute BIG $$$$! How 'bout President Cheney!? As I grow older I speak my mind more and more...What are they going to do, fire me?!

Yes, picking up some trash each time you go out does help. And, it's a great way to get some recycling bucks for the kids piggy bank!

The seasoned vets that you are meeting on this Forum have seen the changing water landscape over the years and even though "the good old days" may never reappear they are the stewards of the Northern California spirit of conservation and angling.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Default Every Once in awhile....

Earlier this week, it was reported that Department of The Interior had approved a full allocation of water from the Colorado River for this state . The allocation formual was contested by upstream states dominated by agriculture/cattle interests .

Not sure if this was a direct benefit but the LA Metro Water District has not exercised its options to purchase water from Sacramento Valley farmers this year and they're due to expire in june . Thus, the need for increased pumping fronm the delta may be reduced .

Author unknown