Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayaks and Pontoons

We had people from sycamore pick my truck up at the bridge and bring it down to sycamore for $15.00.

My Kayak can be bought at JB 3 outdoors 488-1099 on 2901 Arden wy in Sacramento for $280.00

http://jb3.com/store/store.asp?actio...prodcode=29199

Fly rod holder was $18.00 and the flush mount was $9.00.

I did take a few casts for my kayak and it was very stable.

I plan on using it on lakes as soon as I can.

Take care
    -Rob

SullyTM Guest

Rob...$280 is a good price for a kayak...I'm going to have to look closely at both.

Mike...what is the load limit for the inflatable? 200 lbs.? 300 lbs.? Do you pack an anchor? And finally, any problems deflating that puppy when you're done? That should do it folks. Thanks.

I think that making the move this spring to anything that floats would be a great experiense for many fly fishers.

Canoes, kayaks, pontoon boats, small prams, Jon boats or evem a float tube can get you to places that are very remote and different.

I started float tubing in the '60s but in 1975 I had a little fly shop where we sold the TP&L prams from Los Gatos. One shippment was 8 prams that we sold at one time.

This opened up a lot of new water to many of us.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thom, it's rated for 295 lbs. No, I don't pack an anchor. Where I use it, I just tie up to tules or park on top of a weed bed when I want to stay immobile. Since it has such a shallow draft, it is very easy to scoot on and off weed beds. So sometimes I'll park it like that, fish everything that looks good within casting range, then move to the next parking spot. Great, relaxing way to fish. Takes about a minute to deflate. Half the air escapes as soon as you unplug all the valves. (The valves are big, not those little valves you find on pool float toys.) I then fold it in thirds and sit on it for about 20 seconds to take care of the rest. Leaving it folded in thirds, I then just pick it up and toss it in the trunk. Very quick and easy.

Bill, right you are. How often have we all longingly stared at water that we just couldn't fish well or at all because of shore access, no room for a backcast, we were on the wrong side, or we were separated from the good water by a swath of weeds on the water surface? Reminds me John Gierach once said that as you move up and down a stretch of water, you are on the wrong side 50% of the time. Makes perfect sense, since one side is usually better than the other at any given point. I have found this to be very true on the Delta sloughs I have become very familiar with. Based on catching experience, certain mini-stretches ALWAYS have fish that hit topwater during prime time, others NEVER do. More importantly, ALL of my favorite, most productive topwater stretches are unreachable from shore, period. Something to think about.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

Default I'm Buying

Mike...Yes, the wrong side...always. My local neighborhood pond is fly casting prohibitive from shore. I flip the line. My local reservior has limited space on the surrounding docks...You can see my dilemma. 295 lb. rating is good. Your kayak is offered at Wal-Mart with a paddle for under $75.00. Hmmmmmmm, my son graduates from high school in 2 weeks...I wonder?!?! Thanks for all the information. But RED!!!!!!

I have a white water inflateable made by AIRE(the same guys that manufacture Outcast). It's the Tomcat Solo, I have never fished out of it but the thought has crossed my mind. It's very stable and bombproof construction with heavy lash points from tip to tail. I have run the South Fork of the American, and used it to scoot around on the Lower American. I found it to be a very sturdy craft. The demensions are 10' x 3' with 12" tubes, 3 cells, self-bailing, and has 325lb capacity. I think they retail for about $500 but you can shop around on the internet and find them for much less. I paid $400 at Sierra Outdoor Center last spring. Maybe a bit more than what someone wants to spend on an inflateable kayak, but it will definitely last you longer than the coleman boat and handle the rough water with as well. It's a bit slow in the flat water sections compared to a hard shell but being able to deflate it is definitely a plus. Like I said, I have never actually tried to fish from it. I think I might give it a shot in the next few weeks. Can anyone offer any tips? I think it's plenty stable, and I watched this guy on tv the other day cast from his knees rather than from a seated position. Anybody want to hit the American reply here.

Hi Smokeater! You have GOT to fish out of that thing, the sooner you realize its fishing potential the better. Tips?

1. Goes without saying but will say it again anyways: ALWAYS wear a life jacket.

2. Attach a short section of rope within reach of where you sit -- it will enable you to tie up to tules, trees, etc., to fish an area without worrying about drifting around, and the rope will allow you to tie up when you disembark.

3. Take advantage of opportunities to "park" on top of weedbeds to fish a spot.

4. If there's current, learn to use one hand to maintain boat position with the paddle and the other hand to fly cast with. Don't bother stripping line, just use the rod tip to twitch and give action to the fly. With this method, you'll be able to drift and cast Clousers, woolly buggers, etc., toward shore as you drift, hitting all likely holes along the way. Your fly rod will have a sweet spot -- the amount of line you can have out from the rod tip that will enable you to pick the line up and, with one or two backcasts at most, lay it back down again and effectively fish flies using just the rod tip for action -- figure out this length of line. This will enable you to fly fish with one hand until you hook up.

5. Get that thing on the Delta for some topwater bass action!

If I think of anything else, I'll reply again. Have fun!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hey Mike, thanks for the info, and yes definitely going to be wearing a life jacket. Just for anyone who doesn't plan on a trip into the drink, no one who has ever drowned ever planned on doing so, and about 99% of deaths on water probably could have been prevented by the use of a PFD. I have thought about hitting the Delta sloughs. I work in Brentwood and could easily head out after shift change. The only thing that has me worried is being in a slow, low profile craft in an area where so many people like to hot dog around blind corners in their ski boats.

Mike

Thanks for the great info also!!

I hope to get out and do some fishing from my Kayak soon.

I did take it up river from Discovery park to Cal expo on the American river last saturday am.

I did not fish, I was just looking for striped bass.

I did see 3 nice fish .

All in water around 4-6 'deep.

Thanks again for all the GREAT info !!

Rob

Default Kayak Fishing

Where did you put in and take out on the Yuba, nice photos