Thread: Fly Fishing the McCloud River Preserve

Default Fly Fishing the McCloud River Preserve

While I am on a roll here, I have one more question to pose to the group. My buddy and I have a reservation to fish in the McCloud River Preserve on May 21. We fished the Upper Sac once last June but have never been to the McCloud. I read an interesting article in Fly Fisherman by Dick Galland, but was hoping some of you who frequent this river might offer some advice to increase our chances for success on this first trip. Thanks.

The McCloud is a cold river so I would fish it from about noon till sunset in the early season.

I would check with the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir before you go for an update on both rivers.

You could use a combination of a #8/10 golden stone nymph (on 3x) and a smaller dark nymph like a #12/14 bead head flashback with rubber legs(on 4x).

When it warms up in the afternoon look for some hatches.

The Upper Sacrtamento River, McCloud River below the reservoir and the Pit River are all good in June. I think these are the top rivers in CA.

This timing will shift a little depending on the weather, snow pack and runoff.

http://www.tedfay.com/tedfay/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hello fellow Davis-ite (ChemDoc) -

I have been to McCloud every year during the summer for the past 3 years. My buddy got me hooked on the river. He's been fishing it for the past 12 years. I love it because its scenary and river flows. It has numerous runs and big boulders. Its a great nymphing river, using primarily pt's, princes, dark lords, and stone fly nymphs, bring larger flies in the range of 16-10. Bring some midges as back up during the high noon hours. After seein Bill Kiene's post, a mercer's mighty mite with legs would be awesome. The nymphing is awesome from sunrise till 11am. Between 11 am till 3:30-pm, you are better off either staying near home camp and eat some lunch, or explore for a good spot for the evening hatch. Be warned to bring a flashlight, you can get so encapsulated by the fishing that you will get stuck deep in the woods. The evening time from 4pm till sundown is the greatsest. Be ready to switch to the dries fast. If you have the time, add a dropper. You do not want to miss catching a dozen on a dry as the sun sets over the ridge. Dry flies would consist of standard elk hair caddis, parachute adams and yellow/orange small stimulators. I hear stories about the the June stone fly hatch to be so thick that they are like bee swarms around you. I still have not have had the experience. I went in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th weekends of June and did not get to see this sight.

The Pacific Crest/Coast Trail runs through the Upper McCloud River and is a perfect trail. We normally fish Ashe Camp and get a camping spot if you get their by Friday. I like spending a day going up river to the base of the dam on the Upper part and the second day, explore the lower. The lower has bigger holes/pools and larger fish.

The Conservecy (Preserve) is really nice. It has a little log cabin and has picnic tables. I believe its 3 reserverations and 3 walk-on's... it could be more. We always walk-on. We chat and talk at the tables till someone comes off. If you see a Morell box full of flies on the lower part, its mine....hahaha...... My suggestion is to fish downstream as far as you can go and walk all the way up. Be careful about parking. Its a pain. If you walk-on and see tons of cars, turn around. I personally think the Preserve is over-raited. Because of the limit and restrictions, it is assumed to be beneficial to the river, put I feel that the river gets pounded hard compared to exploring the un-explored parts.

Word of advice is to bring a few rods. One for the nymphing and one for the dry. If you can carry both during the event hours, you are set. I carry 3wt to 5 wt rods. If the fish are big and plentiful stay with the 5 wt. If the fishing is slow, use the 3 wt for the play and cherishing a long fight.

Bring a wading staff if you never fished the water. This is very helpful. Water can get a little hairy.

Last but not leastly, I normally stop at any local fly shop on the way up and get some advice on the flies..... they helped me a lot on the right dries. The nymphs were just experimenting with a whole box.

Hope this helps. I noticed that ChemDoc posts on a different message board and fishes Putah Creek. The fishing is great. I am staying away from the areas where they planted and sticking to the hold-overs and natives

Default Thanks for the Advice!

Wow, that was a very helpful post! I will definitely take your advice when we head up later this month. I have also read that some people use streamers in the McCloud. Have you done that at all?

As to Putah, that is indeed me posting to the website. I have been fly fishing for a bit over a year now and on Putah for the past six months. I am still learning my way around the creek, especially as it changes with the seasons and flows. I have learned a lot and some of the regulars have been kind enough to offer advice on locations and flies. Since we both live in Davis, perhaps we will meet there sometime.

Thanks again for the helpful advice on the McCloud.

Chemdoc-

I am not a streamer kind of guy. I stick to nymphing and dry flying. I do notice that around a lot of bends, there are deep pools/holes that can get about 12' plus deep. If I had the time and patience to switch up rigs and carry an extra spool with sink line then I would attempt. Try it out. It never hurts to try. I can tell you of one story..... at about high noon, the river was dead, so I tied on my last prince nymph size 10 and took off my indicator. I threw it in to a deep pool and started stripping just to kill time. I had a large hit and broke off. The kicker was that other princes were only size 18. That was frustrating not having enough flies. Bring a lot of flies and different assortments to try out.

I believe you said you were planning a trip on May 21st. I just finished talking to my buddy and we set up a trip for the weekend of May 13th. I'll let you know how I do. I'll give you an update. I heard the McCloud was packed on the Opener and it was hit and miss on Saturday and better on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Default McCloud River

Thanks Mike. We will look forward to hearing how you did on your trip.

Phil