Thread: There is a 'prime time' for every fishery

Default There is a 'prime time' for every fishery

Be sure to get some help with planning you fishing trips because there is a prime time to all destinations.

This is the first and most important part of planning a successful trip whether it is an evening on the Lower American River after work, a weekend on a good trout stream in Nor Cal or a two week trip to Montana.

Variables like yearly snow pack, river flows, weather and water temps can all come into play here.

Be sure to check with someone who should know about this fishery. You can put a question up here on this BB, check with people who regularly fish the destination in question, check with you local fly shop or check with a fly shop close to the destination in question.

This is a big part of why veteran anglers are more successful because the first thing they do is to go at 'prime time'.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Prime Time in the Sierra

Your posting was very timely Bill, as it gives me an opportunity to ask a question based on a fishing trip yesterday. My fishing buddy and I went to the Sierra yesterday for the opener, fishing from 4000 to 6000 ft in elevation. We had gotten the impression that this was too early for the mountains, but being new to the sport, had to find out for ourselves. We figured that either (a) we would be the first to fish there in months and make a killing, or (b) get skunked. The correct answer is (b).

For those interested, there is still plenty of snow on the unplowed roads, even as low as 4500 ft or so. Some folks got stuck, but we managed to break through up to 5500 ft where the road was impassable.

My question is in regard to factors affecting early Sierra fishing. First, is it just a given that you won't catch fish this early at higher elevations? Or could it be flows or water temperature? The flows were higher, but there seemed to be plenty of fishable water (or it appeared so to a couple of amateurs). The water temp was only 38 degrees, and we wondered if the fish just aren't actively feeding at that low of a temperature.

Any thoughts and advice for the future would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Early Season Fishing....

The same rules that apply at places like Pyramid Lake apply here during early season... . Winter water temp's in Pyramid are in the mid-thirties . Yet, fishing continues.... Fish're, also, active under ice.... It may be slow at times but still is doable if you're persistent .

When the water is cold, fish don't want to use a lot of energy chasing food. Slow everything down and fish deep... . Altho, certain hatches occur at any time of the year.

Fly color that presents a good silhouette in the water becomes very important during low light and turbid conditions during high flows . (e.g. Black or purple, etc.) Wooly worms or buggers, heavily weighted will penetrate to the desired depths quickly and keep them down. Probably shouldn't bother with long casts... .

I recall a trip I made during a very snowy opener when I fished Sagehen Creek before it became a UC project area when I caught trout while standing in knee deep snow on the bank . Had the same situation many years later at Fordyce Creek. After walking 3 miles thru knee deep snow and walking across some ice on Eagle Lakes found the creek very high but clear . Great fishing that day for browns and Rainbows on big nymphs... .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Just got back from the sierras myself from this weekend. Lots of snow out there, was even snowing a bit this morning.
    I tend to stay to the lower elevation rivers this early due to access for one and fishability for the other.
    You can catch fish in the colder water, but the fish are way more sluggish and the hatches are almost nonexistant or very small size at the colder temps. You basically need to get a nymph right on their nose.
    As things warm up, the hatches are more prolific and the backcountry trout are hyperactive for the dry fly.
    I stayed lower elevation this trip and the hatches were still small but got some on dry and more nymphing. High flows on the lower owens but people were doing great on sections of the upper owens and I heard hot creek wasn't that crowded either.
    Crowley of course looked like a madhouse as usual.
    Was productive with not too many people and some beautiful fish.

-Paul

Trout get more active when the water is over 50 degrees.

There are exceptions to some of these rules.

I am not really talking to the person who will be fishing dozens of times up in the Sierras this summer for trout. They can go now and maybe get skunked and it won't lower their spirits.

I am talking to that person who is new to fly fishing and needs all the help they can get.

June is averagely a top month for many of the Blue Ribbon Streams in Nor Cal.

Getting properly outfitted at a good fly shop is important too.

Getting a day with a good fly fishing guide is another plus.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have never caught many fish on the Season Opener. Too much high, cold off colored water.

I wait a couple of extra weeks normally. I do understand that there are some waters that fish welll real early but I still have yet to fish one.

But it is exciting that we will be able to fish for trout in the high country again.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hi All.
    If I may add, check the moon phase, because as the moon fills, you will catch more, as the moon moves past the full moon, and then the first of the new moon, almost nothing, the 10days before a full moon, is or appears to be the feeding period for both fresh and saltwater fish, check it out sometime, take a few notes, then plan your holiday.

Or, be like me, just go fishing every day. No matter the moon.
    Kind regards,
    Barry.
    Kind regards,
    Barry.