Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Two to Choose

I would probably take an Elk Hair Caddis and a prince nymph.

SullyTM Guest

Default 2 Favorites

I must confess I'm still trying to figure out what works best. I'm working on some ant and bee patterns. I'm always seeing these insects on the water so why not give them a try? The next question would be, how small of hook do you folks use? A friend of mine gave me some 20s!!...where are my glasses!!!! Thom

Wow... that is tough! Probably an EHC and a Copper John. MANY close seconds! And what size? Man I can't even think that hard.

This question is way too hard to answer, so I'm going to break out the casting rod and go throw some spinnerbaits for Bass Ok maybe Senko's!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

For dry flies, I'm partial to caddis: a nice smokey flavor. Sure callibeatis will hatch in droves and land right on ya, but the taste just doesn't match up to a fine traveling sedge.
    For nymphs, definately a damsel: almost a nutty flavor with a fine mushy texture that slides down the throat like an oiled oyster. I used to think salmonfly nymphs were the cat's meow but you can't get those down the throat with a plunger!!! Things have more barbs on them a Bill Dance tackle box. Ouch.

Default Hmmmmm......

I only fish Trout in lakes/reservoirs in spring..... So, my choices would gravitate to an Olive Beadhead Wooly Bugger :P and...... Seriously tho, I do fish crawdad's, buggers, princes, chartruese copper john's, etc. Don't make any choices until I find out wassuuuup.....

Don't start fishing for trout in rivers/streams until all of the early season rush is over.... Then it's dries; Humpy, EHC, Mosquito's, Adam's, etc. (The "etc" may be wet ).

Love fishing the fall season in areas where Ted Fay style flies are effective... . Like the feeling of a real manly man's fly. You know, one that really crashes when it hits the water; especially in a two fly cast . Not sure about the taste, tho.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey, hey, HEY Darian, you were only supposed to pick two - one dry and one nymph. Sheesh. Some people.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Probably a #18 PMD emerger and a #18 PT nymph

Mine would be a size 14Yellow Stimulator on top and a bh. pt. flash-back dropper.

only 2 flies huh? for the whole season. hmm. How about a live grasshopper for the dry and a nightcrawler for the wet? There's also the realistic egg patterns at Bill's shop that are proven fish getters. Seriously though, I don't think I can wrap my mind around the idea of only 2 flies. I'm a 3 fly box guy, more if I have room.The more the better, so what if I never use that box of size 20 midge patterns on the streams that I normally fish, or the striper sized clousers in the band aid box, by god I have 'em just in case.Do any of you guys carry odd flies in odd containers like band aid boxes or pill tins?How about the old stand-by favorite--the sucrets tin? yeah, we all do it. Here's one, what's the most bizarr fly container you've used? I think the guys will probably take this one.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.