Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Two to Choose

only 2 flies huh? for the whole season. hmm. How about a live grasshopper for the dry and a nightcrawler for the wet? There's also the realistic egg patterns at Bill's shop that are proven fish getters. Seriously though, I don't think I can wrap my mind around the idea of only 2 flies. I'm a 3 fly box guy, more if I have room.The more the better, so what if I never use that box of size 20 midge patterns on the streams that I normally fish, or the striper sized clousers in the band aid box, by god I have 'em just in case.Do any of you guys carry odd flies in odd containers like band aid boxes or pill tins?How about the old stand-by favorite--the sucrets tin? yeah, we all do it. Here's one, what's the most bizarr fly container you've used? I think the guys will probably take this one.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

sorry, I meant the old guys will take it
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

black ant and Bird's Nest
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

SullyTM Guest

Ken...BLACK ANTS! Now that's worth screaming about! I'm tying my first ants this weekend(I've given up trying to eradicate the living ones) If you run out of them I'll send you a couple. It would be an honor to hear your screaming with a fish chewing one of my flies. When I was in Michigan recently the black ants came out of hibernation...1/4" to 5/8" long, and mean!

For dry flies it has to be the Adams. As for the nymph.My yellow belley sap sucker is still in my head.

Most bizarre container would have to be a plastic sandwich baggie with a bit of the sandwich still in it.
    I carry tons of stuff trout fishing but I'm a minimalist in the surf.
    Talk about a cheap fly box Plus you don't have to open it to see what's left.

How 'bout a #16 tan birds nest... no bead and a #16 E/C Caddis. That's my two cents worth. SJ

Hi All.
    Out here and in most places, there are stinking rotten biting ants !

Ken, stated it in one.
    The Black Ant.
    And make it a flying black ant.
    Why carry any other fly, but a black ant, and carry a pair of sharp scissors.
    Why, good trick, cut your tippet, cut your finger nails, cut your hair, if any left, and trim that ant !

Cut the legs off, soak it up, you then have a beaut nymph looking creature.

Cast it into a hatch of caddis, most times it will be consumed as food.
    Cut the legs off and leave the wing, a nice dark caddis failed emerger.

Even when grass hoppers are about, cast black ant, within 6inches of the bank or bush, whack, its gone as a hooper or just food.
    Yes, I fish black ants.
    Kind regards,
    Barry.
    Kind regards,
    Barry.

Oddest fly container eh?....When I was smuggling flies out of Sri Lanka...well...you get the idea. Let me just say it made me a believer in barbless hooks.

Default Barbless Hooks????

Hmmmm,.... Without being too specific, just where were those flies (with Barbless hooks stored
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown