Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MAY Fly Swap?

David, that's it? -- Just a tag on the end, diamond braid-wrapped body, and lead eyes? Sounds too good to be true!

Thom, Lime Trudes are killer flies -- I recall reading they are the catching-est fly of the Jackson Hole, Wyoming One-Fly Contest. (You know, the one where you compete by pre-selecting and using only one fly the entire time you fish the tournament.) That definitely caught my eye, as I need all the help I can get. I ended up searching high and low (like 5 fly shops!) for just the right floss and hackle for this pattern.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Shad Flies!!!

Mike,..... Good looking Shad flies . You can't beat chartreuse, orange and pink for general color choices. There're so many variations of patterns utilizing these colors that the best advice is, probably, pick one and go fishing . Stick with whatever color is catching 'em at any given time .

Altho I've never tried it, some people use dry, skating Caddis patterns in the late evening, succesfully, for Shad .

Like in all other types of fly fishing, I carry more patterns than I use consistently but they all have some touch of the colors mentioned with flash in combination. There is one caution.... I've only known one pattern to use gold bead chain eyes or hooks in them for Shad and the only place I've seen it used was in the Russian River. Stick with nickel, pearl and silver for ribbing, eyes and hooks (bronzed hooks are OK)... .

My primary patterns are the Green Weenie and Bowstring... .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown