Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Habit tutorial?

Default Sea Habit tutorial?

Anyone know of a good fly tying tutorial for the Sea Habit fly on the web?

Hi Blake .

I think Jay Murakoshi has something on it ... since that's his "signature" fly . It might be a Emailable attachment or something like that . I'm sure Jay will pipe up here in a while .

David

That would be awesome. Also, has anyone tried out the Marc Petitijean Magic Heads? What do you think? Are they everything theye are cracked up to be? The concept makes sense I just didn't know if in reality they really worked.

WARNING - RANT COMING UP -

A "magic-head" is the same as the B-17 companys "fludder" , I think .

I would never use anything like that to give the fly a different action . I much prefer to be the "puppeteer" and make that sucker do what I want it to do rather than use a gimmick or doodad . If the "action" is built-in (like a Poplip Siliclone) , I think that is o.k. ....

Of course ... I also wouldn't use a sluggo (gummy-minnow) either

David - who enjoys doing things the hard way .

Default Gummy Minnow?????

Hey David,..... I've got it How 'bout using a beadhead, olive gummy bear (....with a magic head for action) Let's see, what flavor would that beeee...

The north wind's put me a little on the "weird" side.... Tying some Silver Hilton's today.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Blake,
    I've been working on tying that pattern myself. Jay had an article on a "White Knight" sea habit in fly fishing in salt waters that was a good reference.

I cannot remember if this site had a version or not...their database appears down at the moment. However, it is an excellent reference.
    http://www.branhamssaltwaterflytying.com/

Finally, what I have been following as of late is the materials listing the the umpqua catalog and using a couple of the trey combs sea habit patterns I purchased as a proportion reference.

I looked also when I started and couldn't find a detailed tying instructions online.
    -Paul

That's it ... blame the north wind - David

Darian, I believe the olive ones are lime-flavored. Personally, I think you'd be better off with one of the berry-flavored ones, judging by the success of Tom Mann and his jelly worms.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Here I am to save the day, that means that Mighty Mouse is on his way.
    Do you guys remember that cartoon - in B&W

Well anyway, I do have the tying instruction save to a CD that I can email.
    It's the complete steps for the White Knight Sea Habit. If anyone would like a copy, I will send it via email.

Jay

Sure , Jay .... I'd love one . David