Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gasoline prices in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Alessio
    Sorry you got the wrong guy. Thank the Hippy mentality....which you seem to buy in to... No Nukes.... The good Lord gave it to us to use.. Don't get to personal OK pal.....
    Actually I think you made it personal first. You implied you wanted to shoot me for my beliefs.

If you are going to disagree with me, do so with some logic. Don't use your old "hippy dippy" stand by. Also, don't imply that you want to "tag" people that think differently than you. Those arguments have no merit, and make you appear to be a grumpy old man selfishly living in the past.

Let me ask you something. Would you purchase a house for your grandchildren that was located next to a coal or nuclear energy plant? Would you refuse to drive an electric vehicle around town if it cost you around $5 per 100 mile charge and you could go up to 80 MPH?

Bill you seem to be pretty smart. Would you please explain the Rancho Seco saga to me? Thanks Frank

Quote Originally Posted by BigBill
    Would you purchase a house for your grandchildren that was located next to a coal or nuclear energy plant? Would you refuse to drive an electric vehicle around town if it cost you around $5 per 100 mile charge and you could go up to 80 MPH?
    I really doubt that there would only be houses available near coal or nuclear energy plants. Also what if you have to go more than 100 miles, do you pull an extra car to jump in after 100 miles.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Lets just say you were driving to Utah... You have to drive thru Nevada from California... You would stop and plug your vehicle in some where. My question is how does Nevada generate most of its electricity???

Default fuel and nukes and environmentalism

Frank,

You wanted the Rancho Seco story. It didn't work. The plant was shut down more than it was running, there was no place to store spent fuel, and it was way cheaper to shut it down and get the energy somewhere else, even at the prices then. Plus, the voters of Sacramento county voted to shut it down. That shows where most people place Nukes on an importance scale. And a shutdown nuke plant is not going to do a Three Mile Island, China Syndrome or Chernobyl on you. Even if you can run a nuke safely, there's still the issue of long term disposal and safe storage of the waste fuel rods. To pass on the true costs of that to electricity users would require some very steep increases in rates.

As for using coal and dino fuels for electricity-dirtiest and ultimately the most costly other than nukes. There are a lot better solutions available - we just need to put in the money and time to develop them for everyday use.
    do it with a long rod and a gentle touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V
    I really doubt that there would be houses available near coal or nuclear energy plants.
    THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING!

I really doubt that there would be houses available near coal or nuclear energy plants.
    I like how you changed my words, you left out or took out the word "only". I said "I really doubt that there would only be houses available near coal or nuclear energy plants"

If you are going to quote someone, do not change their words.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Alessio
    Lets just say you were driving to Utah... You have to drive thru Nevada from California... You would stop and plug your vehicle in some where.
    YES! Why not? In the 20's it probably seemed ridiculous to expect to drive a gas powered vehicle accross the country as there were very few gas stations. We adapted and built more. We could build charging stations and develop quick charge technology.

Also, the main benefit of the electric car, at this point, would be commuting, and just driving around town. Keep your Tahoe and use it on the wknds to get down airport rd (4x4) when you need to.

Lastly, why doesn't EVERY car manufacturer still not have an accessible 4x4 hybrid yet?

These are the kinds of questions and ideas we need to be thinking about and building on. If it's broken, fix it!

I like how you changed my words, you left out or took out the word "only". I said "I really doubt that there would only be houses available near coal or nuclear energy plants"

If you are going to quote someone, do not change their words.
    Oh, I thought it was a typo so I auto corrected for you, seriously. It was awkwardly worded the way you wrote it. So, I guess I have no idea what you mean then by "only"...

Oh Lord, look what I've gone and started...