Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline prices in the USA.

Relax Guys it was said in jest.... It would not be the Short Term solution we all seem to be looking for.......Frank

Default Nuclear + Fishing = Awesome

Haven't y'all seen the three eye'd fish on the Simpsons?

Seriously...

Some of the greatest fishing I have ever had in my life was in the outflow plume of Ginna nuclear power plant in Lake Ontario in N.Y.

As soon as the ice breakup, if you could get out the fishing was spectacular!

The warm water plume from the plant would bring in hordes of baitfish, and with that would come the big guys. 5-10 lb browns and rainbows and occasional cohos and smallmouth. It was not uncommon to boat 15 fish between the hours of 5:30 and 8:00 in the morning.

Man I wish I had fly fished in those days. We used to cast rapalas and rattle-traps and let them hang out in the current. My dad saw some fly guys really clean up once though.

I don't know whether nuclear is a safe and viable option. There are certainly some very compelling pro and con arguments. I certainly don't condone building lots of new nuclear plants just because it provides some great fishing I just told this story to provide a little bit of fun to this subject that's gotten very serious and personal
    Neil

Default Nuclear Power....

Kinda reminds me of the stories about the fish at Rancho Seco Pond glowing in the dark....

Thanks for lightening things up.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Alessio
    Lets just say you were driving to Utah... You have to drive thru Nevada from California... You would stop and plug your vehicle in some where. My question is how does Nevada generate most of its electricity???

NO !!!!!!!!!!

It look us 11 hrs to go from N. Utah to Davis using gas .
    Can you imagine if we had to wait for a electric car to charge every 100 miles or so .
    Battery cell and charging technology is expanding pretty rapidly. They are talking about 10 minute re charge times being a near future reality. Also, electric-gas hybrid technology allows users a driving range of around 400-500+ miles at 30-50+mpg. Why aren't there more accessible, diverse, functional hybrids being marketed yet?

You don't need a hybrid to get good gas mileage. I have a Toyota Yaris that gets 36 m.p.g. and if I drive under 70 it will get 40 m.p.g. Why pay 10,000 - 15,000 more just to get a car that might get a few miles more than I do. Plus all the extra work that goes into a hybrid is only adding to the destroying of our eco system. So now you have a car that use gas but it also requires an extra motor and batteries, yeah that is real eco friendly.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Alastair, thanks for the link, it has been a while since I have seen Olberman, once again he is spot on!!

There is one part of your post however that makes me both sad and angry(in a good way I suppose). You felt the need to use your service as a shield against attack, and to qualify your position. It shows how dangerously close to FACSISM we are. Being a Citizen used to be, and still should be the ONLY qualification to voice your opinion in this country. However, these last few years those who wrap themselves in the flag and righteousness, have made those of us who do not agree with them look like unpatriotic people who only want to destroy our democracy. While behind their backs they shred the very Constitution that you and others like you swore to defend. They have forgotten, or ignore the fact that this country was forged from dissent.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't be afraid to speak your mind!!!!!!!! Be mindful that you have done more than ALL the Chicken Hawks in the Executive Branch put together. If people don't like what you have to say, they can respond (hopefully with civility), or they can move on to the next post.

Better stop here, this should keep my NSA minder busy for a while

p.s. Much Thanks, you did what I was too dumb and headstrong to do when I was of age.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Phil, thanks for the words of encouragement. I have always been a bit defensive. I fully expected to get flamed for my political views. Everyone here has been talking about a solution to the problem and I felt it necessary to try and explain why we are being screwed by this administration. I guess I brought up my service to try and drive home exactly why I hate what has happened to my country. I got drafted but was lucky enough to do well on the Air Force exam and did an end around a two year waiting list. This was in 1967, being drafted equaled coming home in a box. So, it wasn't like I volunteered. Regardless, I did my time and I made it out with an Honorable Discharge.
    I am truly concerned for the country and I hope we can recover from the damage these criminals have done.
    This is related to this forum because I truly can not afford to go up to the Upper Sac as often as I would like to. It makes me angry to know that the reason is because this country is allowing this kind of corruption.
    I'd better stop here. I've said enough.
    I am going to hoist a wee dram of Macallan 18 year old in your general direction.
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com

Default Re: Environmentalists

Quote Originally Posted by loganmike
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Alessio
    You guys are all off base.... They need to start issuing over the counter Tags to cull the number of Environmentalis ruining this fine country for the rest of us. We need to build Nuclear plants for electricity and liquify coal to make gas and Diesel which is by the way a By Product not the highest BUY PRoduct............. Yea I am Pissed could ya tell??????
    Not really sure if this is a joke or what not. but if this is what the people that do not support science's quest for alternative forms of energy have in mind, then it is a sorry state of affairs.

This is not a personal attack, but this quote is quite possibly the most absurd thing I have read on this board. I feel sorry about this opinion.

As fly fisherman, are we not all some form of environmentalists? If that is the case, well, nuff said.
    I think the issuing of over the counter Tags to cull Environmentalist is a LITTLE extreme , But i agrees with the rest of the statement 100 %. Not every one believes everything the Environmentalist are doing or saying . I do not think solar or wind powered power is the answer and was very disappointed when Rancho Seco was closed and feel that was very very stupid . The Environmentalist don't want Nuclear power , they don't want more Dams built for hydro power and want some removed , they don't want More oil refineries , or more oil drilling , so as far as i am concerned , they are some what responsible for the high cost of our Fuel and power . Sorry but I am not "QUITE" ready to be labeled as a Environmentalist , way too many extremist out there for me .
    Vets , Thanks for your service !!
    http://www.flashdemo.net/gallery/wake/index.htm

Alastair, I'm honored that you would heft a bit of 18 year Macallan for me. I am a Scotch man myself, and must confess that I had a couple of nice sized glasses of Glenfiddich while writing that post. It was a two edged sword, calmed me enough to keep it sane, yet had to keep checking to make sure it would be coherent.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Not surprising. Most politicians have always been looking out for their own interests. Add the incompetence and lack of oversight of the current chairman of the fed and it's really not surprising that gas prices are where they are. It's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point where it effects our pastime and results in a lengthy discussion like this on a FF board. It's too bad the only candidate with the cajones to get things fixed is no longer in the running. My .02 cents anyways. Thanks for keeping this civil for the most part.