Thread: Anglers Report - British Columbia Spring Steelhead

Default Anglers Report - British Columbia Spring Steelhead

Hello Anglers!

My first featured and endorsed destination is Nicholas Dean Lodge located in the Lower Skeena region of British Columbia. Located near Terrace, BC the lodge is situated in the heartland of world-class Steelhead and Salmon fly fishing. I recently spent 5 days visiting and fishing with head guide and owner, Dustin Kovacvich. My first glimpse of the region's scenery was met with the breathtaking beauty and grandeur of snow-capped mountains and towering evergreens. Amidst all this, the home-style feeling of the lodge was very warm and welcoming. The lodge is centrally located amoungst numerous world-class Steelhead and Salmon rivers. And, one of the absolute highlights of the lodging is their chef, Jean. The meals she prepares are superb! In my opinion it is five-star taste served with a home-style feeling.

As for the fly fishing experience, it was truly world-class! We landed a mix of Fall Steelhead (wintered over) and fresh Spring-run Steelhead. We swung large (3-5 inches long) marabou/rabbit fur patterns (traditional, articulated, and tube style flies). Not surprisingly, the most effective colors were purple, black, and all shades of pink. The sizes of hooks used were size 4 to 2/0! - these fish move for BIG flies. Conditions and size of fish dictated the use of heavy sinktips on 8/9 weight rods.

The hallmark of their fly angling program is that they have access to numerous classified rivers. This allows their guides to maximize your daily fly fishing success by selecting drainages based on weather and river conditions. Additionally, the rivers are located in a relatively temperate region, allowing the lodge to offer 9 months of prime Steelhead or Salmon fly fishing. Lastly, Dustin's guide staff is second to none - very professional, excellent instructors, and experts on fly fishing all of their rivers.

If you are interested in additional information and/or booking a trip to Nicholas Dean Lodge, please contact me at: phone (916) 539-3474 / email Keith@AnglingOnTheFly.com

Thank You - Keith Kaneko
    Angling on the Fly Travel

"Morning Mist on the Kalum"

"The Angler's View"

"Yes, BIG Flies for..."

"...for BIG Fish"

"Early Spring... Yes, it was c-c-cold"

"Master Guides - Dustin and Sky"

"An Angler's Most Desired Moment..."

"Steel Blush"

"Blazed Chrome Hen"

"Steel Shoulders"

"Sunset Upon the Day..."

Great report and pics Keith. They certainly made my me drool and work to save up some money for that trip in the future. I proabably need to work on my spey casting first though! Looks like one of the many fine trips you are putting together for the shop. Thanks for all the "hard" work.

Jason Hartwick

Very nice report and GREAT photo's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Fly fishing Travel

Keith;
    Just loged on and saw your photos and your new site. Great job. Had dinner with George tonight.

Denny
    dg

Wow Keith, great report and just gorgeous pictures!! And size 2/0 hooks. . . amazing.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.