View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, Cork or Foam Poppers?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basic colored Cork

0 0%
  • Colored cork with rubber legs

2 22.22%
  • Basic Foam

0 0%
  • Foam with rubber legs

5 55.56%
  • Balsa Wood

1 11.11%
  • Balsa Wood with rubber legs

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cork or Foam?

Default Cork or Foam?

I prefer Foam poppers with rubber leggs for Bass myself.

Paint usually chips off of cork, foam stays the same.

I think that the bass might tend to hold onto the fly longer with a soft life like foam compared to a hard bodies popper.

What do you like?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Cork bodies and sponge body spiders. But I do prefer the balsa wood poppers

Jay

What a stupid oversight on my part. Jay thanks for showing me my mistake. I sent a PM to Eugene to find out how tho modify the poll question. If I can change the poll I will definately add balsa. I am embarassed.

The trouble of shavinf and forming the basla wood has kept me away from using that material. I realize that basl popper are a true fly tying art form but I am just too lazy. Leo Gutteres makes some great balsa poppers.

I will add balsa to the poll if I can.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam, no choice for deer hair?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Deer Hair....

I'm with mike..... I fish Deer Hair poppers/sliders and foam spiders with rubber legs (gonna try the foam frog this year ) more than any other body type for BB/sunfish.....

I actually like the way deer hair (depending on how it's tied) can soak up water and float lower or sink slowly....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

...Deerhair for subtle stuff
    ...Foam for waking action
    ...Balsa for booming vibes (especially in the dark)

That's the way I use the stuff. All good materials with something to offer.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

With all of the new materials(and "old"stuff) out there , I'd hate to have to choose just one . I think the next 10 or so years are going to see some more MAJOR innovation regarding floating flies .

Take a good long look at the Gurgler's popularity and applications - I've never seen a surface fly take off with fishers like that one . Another neat one is the Crease fly - I just tyed up a few a while back and fished one for the first time 2 weeks ago ... The way the Crease fly pops and spits , jinks back and forth like the old Rebel Pop-R plug .... Just unreal to watch that fly work !!

Balsa will always have a place with tyers - look at the classic Pencil Popper 'ala Dave Whitlock , or one of Jay Murakoshi's big salty Poppers .... Classic craftsmanship never goes out of style (or fish-catching power , either) . The learning curve to work Balsa is steep , but well worth spending the time to master .

Cork .... what can I say ?? Cork was there at the beginning of fly fishing in America , still works like a charm . Leo Gutteries makes just about the best Cork Poppers around (I think Leo uses cork instead of Balsa .... I don't want to cut-up the few that I have to find out ....) . Betts are a close second (you can buy the Betts , you can't buy Leo's ) . A well-crafted Cork bug will be hard to destroy .

Deer Hair is fun to work with once you get the hang of it . Still a measure of a fly tyers skill , a Deer-Hair bug will catch fish as well as it catches the eyes of tyers in the know .

Silicone has opened up new opportunities for surface bugs .... Bob Popovics created a MONSTER with his Siliclones ..... Still rare to see anyone tying/using them , though I don't know why . Silicone/wool flies
    are always in my box and account for some BIG fish !!

Yes .... I'm long winded , but it's a great subject to talk about !! Now , all we need is a line that floats David

David, very nice comments on bug options, I really enjoyed reading them. You know me, I've always been a devotee of the classic deerhair bugs but, I got to admit, Leo's poppers sure are head turners, especially the ones with the bunches of deer hair coming off the sides towards the rear of the hook -- reminds me of poppers of the early/mid 20th century. But I have yet to see a bass fly move like the crease fly you tested two weeks ago. I have got to learn how to tie those, as the one you gave me is just too darn pretty to use for anything but display. I suspect the action on those things are just going to drive those Delta bass insane. In fact, it has precisely the action I was hoping to simulate by tying a deer hair popper with a Tru-Turn side-offset hook. You tie an amazing variety of flies but I'm curious, do you have a favorite topwater bass bug? Is it the Cottonmouth?

By the way, Rio claims they've come up with a floating fly line with a tip that doesn't sink, I'm sure you've seen the ads. I haven't heard of anyone yet who's fished with one, so who knows. . . .
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Guys - sorry to wander off-topic .... but Hairstacker has questions ...

1.- Favorite topwater bug ?? As far as Deerhair flies ... The Cottonmouth , followed closely by the Umpqua Swimming Frog (another great Whitlock fly) . The only cork bug I've used a lot is the Sneakey Pete . I haven't used the foam stuff enough yet to form an opinion as to my favorite .

2.- Floating lines . Everyone and their mother (manufactures , fly shop employees , guides ...) will tell you that "brand X" or "brand Z" is the best , highest floating , never needs cleaning .... flyline around . I am beyond sick of shelling out $60.00 + dollars a pop for lines that sink after a few trips , have coatings that peel off after a while , or just plain SINK right out of the box - I don't believe any of the hype anymore , having bought 30 or so different "floaters" in the past 10 years THAT DIDN'T FLOAT !!

That's why I use sinking lines and rarely fish the surface anymore . Even if I was "well-heeled" enough to get whatever line I wanted , untill I see one that works , the powers that be ain't gettin' anymore of my hard earned cash for bunk gear . David

Default Fly Lines.....

So David,..... I guess we could say that you have a full stock of intermediate sink rate fly lines..... Of course, the flip side of this is that you,ve got a bunch of flats lines that you don't have to buy :P :P :P :P :P Where's a Bonefish when you need 'em
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown