Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: April Fly Swap!!!

Default Changing Patterns

OK Mike,.... Thanks for the note..... I've been curious about that fly (....you mentioned it in other posts).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike is tying a Carpet Caddis dry? Ok, I'm in. I have GOT to have a copy of that fly, which is unobtainable in ANY fly shop that I'm aware of. I don't know what pattern I'm tying yet though.

I REALLY like Darian's idea of toe tags, as I still haven't figured out who tied what pattern from the 1st fly swap. In fact, when I get around to it, I'll probably post 2 pictures that provide the line up of flies from the 1st swap so folks can chime in and tell me which is which. Hope no one minds.

I think Adam is right on target when contemplating swap themes, although as David said, it's ultimately up to the swap host. (Agree, not a problem for April's since it's sufficiently broad.)
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hi Darian,
    Count me in for the steelhead swap. I'll tie some Herniators.
    Terry

Default Swap Themes....

OK guys,.... I've been resisting commenting on the points raised about chosing Trout flies because Trout season is arriving soon..... But, I feel like there's some limited perspective working, here.....

I'm solidly in the camp for the Swapmeister making a choice of patterns, regardless of approaching seasons. Trout Season may be approaching but so are Spring Steelhead, Cutthtroat Trout, Striped Bass, Black Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Carp and Shad; not to mention Catfish and Surf Perch and whatever else anyone wants to try to catch on a fly. All of these fish are within easy striking distance of this area and are available almost all year.

Another consideration might be that tying one type of fly all of the time limits ones capabilties to that area (.....in both fishing and tying). Many patterns have cross over affectiveness in catching all or some of the above fish. If one of our Black Bass guys chooses Hair Bugs for BB, will he encounter resistance from making that choice ; a valid choice for this time of year and this area

So, I guess I'm at a loss to explain this need to tie the choice of patterns to approaching Trout season To do so might limit the number of people making the choice of whether to participate at all.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default April Swap Participants...

Sorry guys,..... Just had to get that frustration off my plate . The Devil made me do it .

Anyway, here's an updated list of April Participants and their choices:

Darian - Silver Hilton (variant)

David - Mossback

PaulC - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive and Tan Super Pupa (2)

Jason - Choice Later

Mike - Carpet Caddis (dry)

Mike S. - Choice Later

Adam - (Maybe )

Terry - Herniator

Again, sorry for the rant.....

Author unknown

Sorry Darian, hope it wasn't my comment that pushed you over the edge. I see your point too, because I'm interested in learning about all kinds of flies. Particularly with shad season coming up in May/June, I've been researching some of those patterns lately. I'm sure I'll be tapping into you guys for some ideas shortly.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Darian - that wasn't much of a rant , hang out with me more often .... I'll show ya how to RANT !!

I guess I'm funny about when I tye what I tye . I love to tye summer bugs in the dead of winter , it makes me think about what I'm missing .

Classic Steelhead flies are tyed in July/August here at home .... By that time , I'm SICK of summer stuff , having been tying to fill the boxes for over 2 or 3 months in-between trips out on the water .

O.K. , so I'm a bit strange ....
    David

Darian,
    Glad to see that someone else out there uses some of the older traditional patterns like myself, your Silver Hilton.
    I use mostly Comets and variations there of and have been very successful in just about any river I fish for both steelhead and salmon. I use the same flies for both.

Two questions: (1) How many are you planning on tying? plus one for the pot.
    (2) What are "toe tags"?

Thanks for the help,
    TONY

(1) Right now I think we have nine people signed up, so "plus one for the pot" means that you would tie ten flies. The extra one goes to a good cause (to be determined).

(2) Toe Tags are a little tag you attach to each fly that has general information about the fly. Your name, the fly name, materials, etc. Nothing fancy, just something to add organization.

Hope this helps!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Default Toe Tags....

Hi Tony,..... As you already know, traditional Steelhead flies are easy and fun to tie, good looking and effective..... I've probably tied/used more of Steelhead flies than any other. Interestingly, the Silver Hilton (small sizes) is effective at elevation in places like Indian Creek Rsvr.

Anyway, the current number is as Gregg stated it but that might change between now and the 5th of April. There may be more participants then...

Toe Tags are an experiment/suggestion.... Not mandatory . It was originally suggested by Jeff Goding and I tried what I understood them to be with the March Swap .

My version of a Toe Tag consists of a strip of paper approximately 1 1/2" X 1/2" in size with my name and the fly name on it. I printed out the tags in advance and cut them out. Then stuck the point of the hook thru a corner of the tag. It wasn't too bad . Got tired of sticking the point of the hook into my fingertips, tho :P :P

Hope you want to participate

Author unknown