Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: April Fly Swap!!!

Default April Fly Swap!!!

Hello everyone,..... Sign up for the April Fly Swap is officially (as opposed to unofficially) open.... You can elect to participate and choose a pattern thru April 5th. Each particpant will tie the same number of flies as there are participants, plus one. This swap is intended to be comleted on May 5th. That'll give everyone one month to complete their flies and mail them to me.

The fly type is a Steelhead pattern and includes all types (coastal or rivers, traditional, modern or Spey). The choice does not include Glo-bugs, beads or MOE bodied patterns.

I suggest that we use "toe tags" for each fly to ID the tyer and pattern. Plus, a written, one page description of the pattern including tying instructions for the pattern.

Some of you have already said you intend to partcipate and have made your choice:

Me - choice not made yet

David Lee - Mossback

Paulc - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive and Tan Super Pupa (two patterns )

Any questions
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, sign me up. Not quite sure what pattern i will tie yet but i will post that later.

Jason Hartwick

Hi Darian, I'd like to tie a few more flys. Please add me to the list. I'm going to tie a Purple Matuka! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Default April Participants....

Hey everyone,.... we're up to six participants for April and a variety of very interesting patterns :

Me - choice later

David - Mossback

PaulC - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive and Tan Super Pupa (2)

Jason - Choice Later

Mike - Purple Matuka
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey guys, trout season is just around the corner and the warm water fishing will pick up in Aprill. Why is April's swap selection for steelhead.

If you guys are determined to tie steelhead flies, why not tie spring run SH flies. Nymphs for swinging or small little brindle bugs are assassins. Even cool caddis imitations for dry fly fishing fo the blue backs.

Why not match the fly selection to the upcoming season?

I have not thought about tying a SH fly in quite some time. I have already started to tie bass flies and trout flies to restock my boxes for this spring.

Am I alone here with this idea?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hi Adam - Fly of the month for the Swap is always the Swaphost's choice , if a host wanted to do something like Bonefish flies (which are not of much use here very often ...) , then that would be that . I think the May host spot is still open if you would like to host a Trout fly swap (with the high water everywhere and snowpack , I don't think May is too late for Trout stuff ) . I sure hope none of this post sounds rude - I don't mean it to be rude , just wanted to make it clear that the monthly swapfly is the "Swapmaster's" choice .

Once again , I hope I don't sound like a weenie . David

Hey Adam, I kinda agree with you but what do we know. I figure a swap is a swap and it gives me something to do. You just get busy tieing some of those bugs and I'll trade a few with you when we get out on the "A" in a few weeks! Carpet Caddis!

mike

Default Steelhead Patterns

Hi Adam,..... Good questions..... As the April host, I chose the type of fly and based that choice on the type of fishing that's available plus doing something slightly different. Also, thinking that Steelhead/Trout are available in valley systems all year and that the patterns used do have cross-over applications. That being the case, I think the choice fits into your concern.

Participation in a swap is by choice and, I'd encourage you to participate. Surely, you could come up with a choice of flies that'll catch Steelhead or Trout You could tie a Caddis pattern (dry or wet), for example, as Steelhead or Trout may be caught on them in valley rivers or any large waters. What about a Pheasant Tail Nymph Or Gordon Langenbeck's nymph pattern that he uses on the Rogue Another choice might be a spey pattern.....

Nearly anything can be a Steelhead pattern. Don't let your choice be limited by traditional perceptions.

Author unknown

I posted before I read your post Darian. I understand your comments.

I may join in.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hi Darian, just read your last post and I think I will change my pattern to one that I have had great success with on the "A" and the "Y" during the 1/2 pounder runs. It's a Carpet Caddis dry fly. Simple but effective.

mike