Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuba River March 12

Default Yuba River March 12

Fun day on the Yuba. Above the bridge and Skwalas on top. We were burned to a crisp before we knew it.

Great Pictures!

I'm glad to hear that the trout are still looking for the skwallas.

We have recently been low on skwalla flies until today. We got some topsy turvey skwallas in stock now for anyone else wanting fish them before they are gone for the season.

I hope that I get another chance to fish skwallas this season. It's always fun to catch trout on large dries
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam,

Your macro pics are outstanding. I actually tied up a Skwala pattern that uses CDC and black hackle. It is a super-quick tie and they loved it!! #12 with some hackle fibers for a tail, CDC Grey tied in about 3/16" from the eye and then black hackle to the eye. I will take a pic and post it but my Olympus Stylus 400 All-weather doesn't seem to have a "macro" feature. The "self-portrait" feature may work. The fly floats well and looks like the skwalas that were floating down the river. I tied them for a trip i'm taking next month to Missoula, MT. Just thought i'd give them a whirl on the Yuba. That was the first time I fished upstream of the bridge. Silly Me.

Jamie

I would love to see a picture of your skwalla pattern.

It sounds nice.

I think that I have seen some macro shots from your type of camera before.

I hope you will figure it out.

Adam Grace

Jamie, beautiful fish! I've never seen rainbows with so much red in them.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

The hackle up front is mostly for legs, not floatation. I had to take the photo from a couple feet away and then crop it to bring it close. Not the greatest, but you can see the pattern.

Nice Jamie!

Thanks for posting the picture of your fly.

I'm glad to hear that the Yuba trout gobbled it up.

Adam Grace

Nice fish, and fly Jaimie. Hey Adam, if you look at Jaimie's Skwalla, your Skwalla, and my Skwalla, I'm not sure you could tell they are representing the same bug. I'm getting the feeling that at times those "Y" fish aren't too picky. I say that and on Monday the trout were feeding on an emerger that I couldn't figure out. Saw a bunch of March Browns coming down the river and not one of them got touched while on the surface. Threw a MB emerger and not a sniff. Had to resort to the PMD to get a few grabs. Fishing, you got to love it!

BTW only saw a couple of Skwallas, I'm thinking they are just about through. I have been rolled on a couple of times the last few times I've been out but it seems to be slooooowing down. Still a go to along the banks if nothing else is happening.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

From what i've experienced, if the fish are looking up for big bugs, you can match the size and almost always fool a few. I have fed trout sticks during the Salmon fly hatch on Rock Creek in MT. The bigger bugs tend to make them a bit more aggressive. Especially Browns!!!

Adam,
    When the CDC gets wet, it lays down a little like stone fly wings.