Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping Material Organized

Well said Adam!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Default Space on bookshelf???

Gregg, Gregg, Gregg,.... I'm so surprised..... Shocked even Removing books from a bookcase to provide space for fly tying materials..... Bookcases, by definition, are for books. (fly fishing/tying books, that is )

If you were a 'real" fly fishing/tying consumer, you would commit whatever amount are necessary to set up an independent workstation in a room which no other human may enter (without your permission, of course ) to conduct/focus your compendium like knowledge of fly tying and fly fishing activities....... (much like myself you see )

Lemme see here.... Have you decided what your transformational device will be when you convert your physical appearance into the mythical fly tyer, Steel Head, yet
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Well, I do have a couple fly tying books (not to mention numerous magazines) in the "fly tying" section of my bookcases, so hopefully that qualifies! My computer books (outdated) are finding their way to the recycle bin to make room for fly fishing related objects. This was a huge transformation for me to make, although I'll never be able to shake it for good.
    I currently have a desk that is shared with a computer and fly tying, so I'm probalby only half way there in that respect. This room is however my own, and dedicated to me only. I know, how selfish I am, but you know when the kids grow up and can afford their own house, they can do that too! My younger son is allowed in here to tie flies with me anytime though.
    Now for the transformational device ... I'm going to need some time to think about that one.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Darian, you have a point, as indeed, the entire house should be structured around the fly tying vise, fly fishing equipment and art, related books, and maybe a rod building/wrapping station. Unfortunately, some of us live with others who have NO appreciation for any of this. I mean, for God's sake, the kids would rather have their own rooms than cough one of 'em up for my fishing room. Can you believe it? So it goes. . . . Some day I hope to at least have a devoted room. Until then, I can only dream of its walls covered with bass pictures, fly fishing art, and framed boxes of Kiene's Bulletin Board swap flies. Perhaps decorative borders with trout swimming by, a mobile hanging from the ceiling with stripers milling about. . . . *Sigh*

Gregg, I know what's happening to you. Fly fishing and fly tying books have slowly displaced all others in my bookcase. Your disease is progressing very nicely.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I've managed to hold the fort and maintain a fly tying room in our house for now.
    Definitely nice to have a bench, material cabinet, references and tunes all in one spot.
    Don't think that will last forever, but enjoy it while it lasts right? Soon as kids roll into the picture, I think i'll be garage bound.
    The garage is nearby, so at least it won't be a far move, or there's those turbocharged secretary desks which keeps you incognito but still in the house.
    http://www.stoneycreekflytying.com/
    -Paul

Paul, just remember the defensive perimeter includes the garage as well. First the fly tying room goes. Then it's, "oh honey, here, just put this STUFF in the garage." Next thing you know, you can barely find a spot to stand in. I've seen it happen before, make sure that territory is well-marked. Just remember, when the kids come, things . . . change.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

gcmachel, you know after you get your materials organized you will have to start organizing all the flys you tie. Here is the way I do it.

Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Great fly box Mike! That is the best collection of Fox Pupas I've ever seen, and the other side, is, well, diverse. Right now, I'm working out of about 20 fly boxes to store my flies, and I'm getting tired of moving them around in various combinations to the four boxes that I usually carry with me on a given trip. I think you may have the solution. Just chuck them into a box or maybe even a zip lock bag. Stick your finger in there and see what sticks. That might do as well in a given situation as whatever one would select based on "the hatch" or whatever recommendations are available.
    Don C.

Hey MSP,

I got some catchin up to do! Too bad the water is so high.

Mike

Hey Mike N, can you tell I'm bored! Let's get back at it when they drop these flows to something more reasonable. Looks like you're busy with your sabot project. What are you going to do with that? Fish or Sail?
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike