Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Material Organized

Default Yeah!!!!

What David Said......

Gregg, I'll be happy to send you a copy of my spreadsheet. Will do so today.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Darian, as far as toys, actually I think you would be SHOCKED if you knew how modest my fly fishing equipage actually is. For example, I did 95% of my fly fishing for bass in the Delta last year using a 9' 5/6 wt. graphite fly rod that I paid $26 for brand new on eBay. Love that rod, by the way, I hope it lasts forever.
    -- Mike

A modest amount of gear ? I'll buy that , Mike ... but how much time do you THINK about fishing/tying

If ya think about fishing while on the pot first thing in the morning .... and think about new ponds when you're goin' to sleep ...... Well , just as bad as having tons of gear , I figure .

Congratulations on your post # 300 . David

Hey, I don't just think about fishing and tying. I'm not that narrow-minded. I think about small boats too.
    -- Mike

Gregg, use different types of plastic boxes and drawers. Hook boxes are great. Plastic divided boxes are nice for threads. We sell a thread organizer which holds thirty something individual spools. I use the multi-drawer plastic drawer systems you can find at office depot or other office material stores.

Now all these boxes and drawers are nice to keep materials in but the materials don't always stay there. I clean off my desk when I have no more room to tie any more flies, about once every two months. At least when I finally clean my desk I have drawers and boxes to put everything back into.

Good Luck
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker
    Gregg, I'll be happy to send you a copy of my spreadsheet. Will do so today.
    OMG, I am going to go broke tying flies! I can't believe all the stuff you have on that spreadsheet!
    Well, I'll take it one pattern at a time, eventually I'll be there. Thanks for sending that spreadsheet, it will give me a good place to start out.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Gee whiz Gregg, and I was feeling a little embarrassed by how much was still missing on the spreadsheet. Whoever said you would save money tying your own flies was flat out LYING, unless you fish 1347 days a year and go through zillions of flies. But next to a good book, there aren't many better ways for getting through the winter. (I said many, not any. )

In any case, one pattern at a time is a good way to go. That way you don't end up with a bunch of stuff you may never use. Having said that, I was at a fly shop today and saw all these hen capes and saddles on sale. . . I COULDN'T resist and picked up four -- two different shades of nicely mottled brown hen capes for some soft hackles, a grizzly brown saddle for some woolly worms, and a badger cape that should do very nicely for some Light Spruce streamers. . . . patterns I didn't use AT ALL last year.
    -- Mike

Well, fortunately nobody told me I would save money tying flies, I got into it because it is part of the "culture". I just cleaned out some room on my bookshelves so I can store materials, seems to have helped a lot so far. I can only image what I'll have a year from now, not to mention several years from now!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

I laugh inside everytime I hear a customer tell me that they want to tie flies to save money

Tying flies to save money is a funny misconception.

Right now every fly that I tie probably costs me 3-4 dollars

Tying flies is about creativity and more involvment in this great sport of fly fishing.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member