Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smallmouth Bass in moving water?

Mike, Hah, you've hit it right on the head. I used to use wooley buggers until I tied up a bunch of small clousers and tried them. Most effective fly ever for those particular smallmouth,plus you can drop them into holes,caves, and other places that would normally cost you a fly.The lower portions of the north fork are pretty easy to access.It's the mid to upper levels where it gets harder. I've gone in on 3 of the trails last summer and they're not as hard as some people say.I'd say about 45 min. to get down and about an hour and a half to get back out depending on your condition. Works best as an overnighter. Carry a filter and tank up before you head back up.Beer on ice at the top is a great incentive.Missed the stonefly hatch up there last year but from the amount of husks on the rocks it looks massive. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Ahhhhh .... the Bataan Death march , I know it well , having done it a bunch of times .

Years ago , my pal Ron C. and I (in the throes of fish-madness) hit the Bear @ highway 65 . Foolish boys , we were ... trying to make it to the dam (around 7 miles upstream) in a day . Stopping to fish all of the good-looking runs (there were a bunch) , we got to within a mile or so of the dam by late afternoon .

So .... with darkness fast approaching , no flashlights , and 6 miles of ground to cover , what do we do ???

THAT'S RIGHT !! CROSS-COUNTRY !!

If you have ever had the pleasure of seeing the Bear river , then you know that the surrounding land is full of Snakes , Ticks , heavy Blackberry stands , and barbed-wire fences . We made VERY good time overland (fear will motivate you like nothin' else) , hit the truck in a little over 2 hours .
    I will never forget the terror of springing over a fence into a pasture .... not knowing if the cows had male company , and RUNNING like a turpintined cat before Mr. Bull could stomp one of us into hairy jelly .

The fishing wasn't too bad ..... David

David,

You are too funny........but I know it's true but you write so intertainingly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

David, I'm surprised I haven't run into you somewhere. I have been fishing the SWA for 15 years. Its where I really learned to cast, having to shoot my back-casts up through breaks in the brush in order to hit the target out in front of me. Even after moving up to stripers and steelhead and other larger species, smallies will always hold a special place for me because of the times I had in the SWA.

I have also fished the Consumnes near Rancho Cordova. It was many years ago, but the fishing was excellent even along the runs by the golf course where I had to contend with numerous swimmers and bait-soakers. The fish were all small (9" was a whopper) but they were plentiful. At the time, I was fishing exclusively with poppers, but little streamers or soft-hackles would have worked too, and may have dredged up something larger.

Around the same time, I also made a trip down to the Mokelumne. I can't remember exactly where, but I went south out of Placerville. (not on Hwy 49, maybe Mt Aukum Rd?) The wading was quite difficult, and I didn't stay long, but I did manage a few fish, all small.

Its good to see that others love smallmouth on the fly as much as I.

L.I.T.F. - Email of secret spots inbound . David

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl
    You guys need to hit the north fork of the american river at the iowa hill bridge.
    Has anyone every put in here and tried to hike/float down to the top of Clementine?

Pete Peterson is the guy to ask that one to , he knows that stretch pretty well .

I reckon that stretch is more than a little "Snakey" , if ya get my drift ... I'd still be willing to do it if a few other people were interested . Have to get a water-filter for that , don't see how anyone could carry enough .

A little thing like Rattlers shouldn't stop anyone from having a little fun , right ?? There are worse Vermin on the lower American

David

A buddy and I were considering doing it in pontoons. We would then get someone to motor up from the ramp at the dam and tow us back. We've also heard rumor of a road that leads from Foresthill Road down to the upper end. Either way, that's some prime smallie territory in there.

David, that is a great story, ha. Attempting to cover and fish 7 miles in a day is too funny, as it is EXACTLY the sort of crazy thing I used to attempt when I was younger. But with 6 miles to return, with no flashlight and darkness approaching on unfamiliar ground? That WOULD be pretty nerve wracking. (Hairstacker makes mental note to add "flashlight" to list of essentials. )
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee
    I reckon that stretch is more than a little "Snakey" , if ya get my drift ... I'd still be willing to do it if a few other people were interested . Have to get a water-filter for that , don't see how anyone could carry enough .
    I'd be willing to do this. I drove through this area a few weeks ago "I think" taking a country road from Forrest Hill to Colfax. I wasn't expecting what it was, but by the time I realized it was a "jeep trail", I was already committed. I have a Dodge RAM (only 2 wheel drive), but it was enough. I recall just staring at the river thinking to myself, I have to try and fish this one of these days. OK, I just looked it up on google and the bridge I went over was the Yankee Jims "Colfax-Foresthill" Bridge

I've got backpacking equipment too, so I'm totally game. I bought a water filter a while back that I've never used, so I could bring that too, I'm pretty sure it's still good. I'd be carrying a ton of water with me anyway though. When I backpacked in the past, I usually carried a 70 - 80 lb pack, and without doing an overnight, could easily carry extra water.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast