Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smallmouth Bass in moving water?

David I might be even more tasty if I was to be smothered in bear grease

I have only caught one smallmouth on a fly before. I caught that fish on a lower stretch of Putah Creek, by one of the concrete dams.

I would be interested in catching another.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam - I've a few streams for you to try this summer , you will be shocked by how hard those little Bass fight

Rancid Bear Grease optional ...... David

You guys need to hit the north fork of the american river at the iowa hill bridge. Wait until the water warms up in mid summer. This stretch is also a very popular swimming hole, you'll see why when you get there. There is also a campground right by the river which can make for a very pleasant weekend.There are lots of smaller bass around as well as some big boys in the deeper spots.Not really difficult fishing this stream as the brush starts a little ways up the bank due to the high water level at runoff time.Sure there's snakes and poison oak around but not much of either down by the water.I don't think you can beat this spot for an intro to streamer fishing for smallies.I've only caught one trout there but I have heard rumors of many more late in the year when the water cools down. Can't wait for summertime.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Smallies!!!!

Ed,.... Have you ever fished the Cosumnes River out past Rancho Murrietta Water looks good but don't hear a lot about it lately...

Ed, thanks for the tip! Have you ever tried catching the smallies there on a topwater bug?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike, no I haven't tried them on top. Usually when i'm there the fish are deep, you can use a mask and snorkel to locate them. There are a lot of caves that go under the largest boulders(boulders the size of a small house)and you swim down and carefully peek inside and see where the big guys lie.Might be some good topwater action at spawning time but I've never hit it.That might be right when runoff is coming down.That's really big water then.If you go into the canyon up above Foresthill you'll find it turns into a truly excellent trout fishery, no crowds either because it's a long walk in and a gruesome walk out. Now I'm gettin antsy for the mountains, I gotta go tie some flies or something. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Smallmouth?
    The best place that I have ever fished for smallmouth was on the Umpqua River out of Roseburg. Drifted the river with guides. Although we did not catch anything to brag about, we did catch MANY fish that day. This would be a great place to take an angler who was just getting into the sport. In a day's fishing they could catch 20-40 fish from 10-14 inches.
    Terry

Ed, that sounds like a good place to drop a chartreuse/white Clouser until it hits bottom and then strip it back in like a darting minnow. Is there much current to speak of there?

I have read accounts of really good, crowdless fishing on the North Fork but, like you said, I've also read that most of it is a GRUELING walk in/out, which is of course why very few fish it. Which sounds like all the more reason to go, with proper planning, of course (I've learned some lessons on other Bataan death marches -- okay, maybe one lesson -- NUTHIN' is more important than drinking water). On the other hand, walking in for an hour and 3 hours on the way out cuts into a lot of fishing time -- is it that bad or am I exaggerating?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default No. Fork Smallies

Mike,..... Just think about the skinny dippers down at the bottom in that swimmin hole and the trip out won't feel quite as bad.....

Here are some rivers that I hear have smallmouth:

NF American River - above Auburn (they are green up there)

Bear River - north of Roseville

Cache Creek - west of Willams

Putah Creek - upper (above Berreyessa) and lower (below Lake Solano)

Lower Consumnes River - east of Sacramento

Lower Stanislaus River - east of Modesto

Lower Merced River - east of Modesto (Gallow property)

Russian River - Alexander Valley

Lower Feather River - around Marrysville/Yuba City (August)

Little tributaries off the Sacramento River north of Sacramento.

Umpqua River and John Day River in Oregon are famous. (July)

Lower Snake River - OR, WA, ID ?

I was talking with Bob Clouser who guides on the Susquehanna River near Middletown, PA. He says it is the best place for them in a river.

http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/guideservices.html

PS: I think you have to float remote sections of these rivers or hike into areas that don't get much pressure to get real good Smallmouth fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........