Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Largemouth Rod Weight Suggestion

Default Largemouth Rod Weight Suggestion

Hey just wondering if you guys would give me your advice on the rod weight I should use for a specific type of fishing.

The type of fishing I do is for big, hard fighting largemouth bass (3-8 lbs) in a LOT of weeds, moss, and general muck that the fish have to be pulled through in order to land. I was thinking a steelhead rod like a mod/fast action 8 weight. Thanks.

That sounds about right .

Or , perhaps a fast 8 overlined w/ a #9 Bug taper . Go with a straight mono leader , 15 or 20 lb. , with no knots . 6-8 feet should do the trick .

If you're looking for a Bug rod that won't break the bank .... check out the Albright Yellowstone emergency 8 wt. . I have one and love it (don't over-line it , it likes a regular 8 wt. line ...) . The action is moderate/fast , and it casts well if you don't force it .

It'll probablly cost less than the line As far as lines .... hard to beat the Mastery Bass Bug line .

Hope this helps .

David

I like a slightly smaller rod. I like a 9' 7wt rod, over-lined with an 8wt SA bass bug line. The 7wt doesn't tire met as much as the 8wt.

But the size and air resistance of the flies you are using should be the real deciding factor when choosing a bass rod. Also consider what type of cover you will be fishing. If you fish a lot of timber or heavy weeds choose a heavier more powerful rod to muscle those bass away from the cover.

Have fun fishing for bass.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Great advice man thanks alot and i will definitely give those some serious thought.

Thanks to you too Adam, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 8 weight because I do fish around a lot of moss. I'll catch a 5 lb bass and pull it out 7 lbs total! Thanks again!

j,
    Sounds like you like to fish'em like we do.....on top and in the absolutely heaviest poop you can toss into. They must be different fish than our though. Never had a LM do much except GRAB/little fight, which is to our liking anyway. Long tug-0-wars can get boring. We used to use 7wt till we won a 10wt Loomis. It is now our FIRST choice for tossing the big bugs and pulling the big salad. We like our DT11F or WF12F on it.
    ....lee s.

Wow a ten weight....I thought people used those for Kenai Kings! Thanks for the advice.

Like Adam, I also use and prefer a 7 wt. rod uplined with an 8 wt. bass bug taper line. I use it mostly to fish in and around weed beds in the Delta.

Bass fishing presents somewhat of a dilemma -- in clear water, even a 7 wt. is over-gunning it for 95% of the fish you'll hook. Yet, you want something with a little beef for that other 5% in the weeds. . . .

I used a 5 wt. rod in the Delta for several seasons and had a blast. Never felt under-gunned with it, but after catching a few keeper-sized stripers on it while fishing for largemouths, I started worrying about that other 5%, so I started carrying the 7 wt.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Local guide Kevin Doran uses a Sage 9' #7 XP (discontinued now) with a WF10F (3 sizes up) SA saltwater line that is also discontinued.

For the larger flies we like a 7 or 8 rod with 2 line size over in a weight forward bass or saltwater floater.

I think this works well for the short casting done from a boat.

If your rod has a softer tip you might only over-line 1 size.

KD likes a 6' level leader of 20# test Maxima Ultra Green. That way when you get hooked up in the cover you can get your $5 fly back.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I keep four Redington CR3 seven weights on my boat, two with Rio nine weight bug lines and two with an assortment of sinking lines depending on conditions. The sinking lines include 8 weight Rio multi-tips, Rio 250 gr. DC 26 foot sink tips and the Rio eight weight Type III 15 foot sink tips.

All are rigged and mounted against the front of the center console. The floating lines are set up with poppers, the sinking lines set up with subsurface stuff like woolly buggers. An angler can switch from sink tip to floating line in less than a minute.

Leaders same as KD, 6 foot Maxima 20#

One thing that has to be considered for the delta is the wind. you'll need a rod/line combination that throws a line heavy enough to counter the spring/summer winds that occur all the way through September. Anything less than a seven weight would be a problem most days.

Another thing to consider is that, even though the average LMB in the delta is about 1-2 pounds, there are some lunkers out there, stuff up to 15 pounds! In fact, it's believed that the next world record will come from the delta. And then there's the occassional striper that takes your fly. Oh my!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com