Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smallmouth Bass in moving water?

Default Smallmouth Bass in moving water?

Where is the best Smallmouth Bass fishing you have seen in streams or rivers?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Bill .... I won't say where the BEST is , got to keep some things to yourself .

One of the nicer , more challanging spots I know of is Dry Creek in the Spenceville Wildlife area . To get there , take highway 65 north to Sheridan , follow the signs to Camp Far West res. , go across the dam , continue north on C.F.W. road .... ya can't miss it .

The fishing there is difficult - clear water w/ little food , brush/grass that limits where you can cast from (and holds untold numbers of biting critters) , and tough climbs in/out when you get away from the road .

So why go there at all ??

The Smallmouth Bass in that creek are "Blue-phase" Smallies ... Something in the water makes them the most beautiful fish I've ever seen . They have slate gray bellies w/ black flecks washed over them . On their cheeks , instead of the "normal" finger stripes , the finger stripes are powder blue ! Eyes the color of clay bricks finish off these amazing fish . Once you see one or are good enough to catch one(I told you they are HARD-) , you will be hooked on them .

In the nearby Bear river , there is another morph of Smallmouth and Spotted Bass ... a lot of the small ones I catch (under 5 inches) have Lemon yellow mouths and fins !! No joke .... I mean BRIGHT yellow . You have to see these fish to believe it !!

I could go on about my favorite subject forever , but I won't .... Go try this spot . David

David, so there's ticks, rattlesnakes, stalking mountain lions, fields of poison oak and nettles, and flora to snag every other cast. Did maneaters stop Corbett? Did reports of warring savages stop Cortes? Did rumors of Bigfoot stop Lewis and Clark? I think not. When we goin'?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Yikes!!!!!

Yeah,..... But there's BILLIONS of SKEETERS

Default Really, Tho.....

Back a few years, before the Teichert property on the lower Yuba was closed off, I used to cross it to get to some beaver ponds that had Smallmouth, Bluegill/shiners and Green Sunfish in 'em. The water was clear/deep/moving slowly.....

Later, they flooded with high water and some of the dams were washed out.... Good times while it lasted.

I've been trying to get access thru the Brophy Road area for the South Side of the river, below the gold fields without much luck. Still posted.

I've been checking BLM maps for access to ponds off Hammonton/Smartville Road.... Looks like there might be some available. Altho, not sure yet. Western Aggregates hasn't been overly interested in cooperating......

Did I forget to mention the SIX big ponds in S.W.A. ????

I think myself , Darian , and Hairstacker will do recon this spring/summer/fall and write a HUGE story about valley Smallmouth

You DO NOT have a choice .... I have spoken

David

Default Yikes, again!!!!

But, but, but..... There's BILLIONS of ...... Oh,..... nevermind

Darian .... Good point ! I say we take someone young and tasty with us . Has Adam ever fished Smallies ????

:P David

Are you comin' to see Jay tomorrow ?? David

Skeeters?!? Did skeeters stop Dr. Livingston's explorations of Africa? Did skeeters . . . oh wait, Livingston died while exporing Africa. . . . Never mind.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Another place that's in dire need of an exploritory trip is Cache Creek ..... I've heard it's the place to go for Smallmouth and Channel Catfish (Carp , too) . I've also heard you can't throw a rock there without hitting a Rattlesnake ..... LOTS of Snakes there ...

The lower Yuba could be decent , but I think the flows are just too cold to make it a viable Smallmouth fisherey . Same w/ the lower American . The old-timers I've spoken with have said the American , before Folsom Dam went up , was an amazing Smallmouth river . I haven't taken any Smallies out of the A. , but I have seen a few in the logjam @ paradise Beach . I did get a 4 1/2 lb. Largemouth out of Sailor Bar years ago ...

The Bear river is a strange place . It has the makings of a great Smallmouth river except the Smallies don't seem to get very big ... I've spent over 10 years fishing there , and have yet to break the 13-inch mark for Smallies . Largemouth are another story - I have seen them in the Bear to 9 lbs. and have landed them to around 6 1/2 lbs. on a fly . The Bear also had good fishing for Crappies and large Carp a while back .

The Feather does have good Smallmouth in it , but you need a boat ... Which takes it out of the running for what I would call a "good" Smallmouth stream .

The REALLY GOOD Smallmouth water is always under your nose ...... Get out and fish - David