Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April Fly Swap - Question

Default Steelhead Flies!!!

Mike,..... In general, there're steelhead flies for Coastal areas (estuaries) that don't necessarily translate productively to valley rivers and vise versa..... For example, you probably won't see too many people using Comet or Boss patterns in the valley for steelhead. There're notable exceptions, such as wooly Buggers. Comets used in the valley are generally variations like the Hot Shot Comet. Also, you won't see many Pheasant Tail Nymphs used in estuaries. Bucktails lend themselves to use in moving currents; not slow water. Valley patterns are usable in either swinging or nymphing. Neither of these techniques are favored in estuaries for Steelhead. There're many others as well. Fly tying literature is full of patterns for Steelhead. You might want to test your skill and look into Spey patterns for Steelhead. Many of them are beautiful and effective.

Just let your choice be whatever you think you'd like. Actually, most of the Sculpin patterns we just tied and your Stonefly pattern could be effective valley flies. As mentioned, I'm excluding single egg patterns (glo bug or epoxy type egg flies) and would like to avoid duplication of patterns tied in prior swaps.

For me the fun thing is doing the reading/selection and then the tying. Take your pick and tie....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

What about beads? Just kidding.
    Even being this far down south, I wouldn't mind joining one of your swaps remotely.
    If steelhead patterns in the valley is the choice, I was doing pretty good with a blue copper john variation last season. How many total of a pattern do you guys tie for a swap? (1 dozen? 2 dozen?)
    How long do you have to tie? I'm up to my ears in Baja patterns right now.
    If only bucktail grew on trees.....
    -Paul

Remote should be fine. We usually tie as many flies as we have participants plus one for a charity. This month it was only 7 flies, but last I think it was a dozen.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Hey Paul, you're MORE than welcome to join in, as is any one else reading this board. As far as how many flies to tie, so far the swaps have been 1 more fly than the number of people who sign up for the swap. So, if 11 folks sign up for this swap, then we'll each tie 12 flies. The idea is that the extra fly each person ties will be given away to a good cause. The current in-process sculpin/crawdad swap will end on April 5, at which point the next swap of steelhead flies will begin. A week or so will be allowed for folks to sign up (by indicating intention to participate on this board). Past swaps have allowed one month to get all the flies in to the host, and I believe our April steelhead fly swap host Darian has indicated a due date of May 5, if I read his post correctly. He said he will be announcing the specific details this weekend. I'm not sure when the signups will begin but we'll learn that soon enough. As always, it should be great fun!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Oh, sorry Gregg, I didn't realize you were posting.
    -- Mike

That's ok, you did a much better job!
    Gregg Machel

Default Fly Patterns/Participants

Paul (and everyone),..... Just so that things don't get completely out of hand , I'd like to stick to a dozen partcipants/tiers for this month (April). Altho it's not an iron clad limitation. As explained, inmy prior post, we'll try to accommodate all who enter between 3/26 and 4/5. Please make your choice of pattern when letting me know of your participation, if known. In general, Location is not a limitation..... Paul, I'll put you down for a Blue Copper John. Thanks for your interest.

For the March Swap, I tried something that Jeff Goding suggested and used a "Toe Tag" to ID myself and the name of the pattern. Also, I included a one page pattern description and instructions for tying in my package to Jeff. I attached the "Toe Tag" to each fly by sticking the point of the hook thru a corner of it..... "Toe Tags" didn't take much time to create and use. I'd recommend them and the pattern description for the April Swap.

Tie one on Dudes
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Once again, as the local newbie, I am at a loss on what fly I should tie for next month. I want to tie something that I can use locally this year. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Steelhead fly that I can use locally (Sacramento Area)?
    Gregg Machel

OK, I'll be doing a Super Pupa (both olive & brown). Just picked up the materials for it and I'm ready to go!
    Gregg Machel

Sounds great, Gregg. Sorry not to be of any help, but I don't consider myself a steelhead fly person so I'm struggling with pattern selection as well.
    -- Mike