Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: April Fly Swap - Question

Default April Fly Swap - Question

In looking over the format of swaps on other BB's, I've noticed that some are done virtually. That is to submit a photo of the flies for posting on the board. Since I've volunteered to host the April swap , I've decided to ask a question about the format, in advance:

1. Is there any interest in changing the current format to submitting a photo of the flies to the board for posting

2. If so, what do you see as the pro's of doing so

My personal preference is NOT to change. However, there appears to be a reduction in interest in participation from the Feb to the Mar swaps. Maybe, a switch in format to the photo would allow more participants to submit a pattern without all of the inconveniences involved.

I'm a collector and like receiving flies tied by others for my collection; especially if we could entice someone like Jay M. or Ken H. to participate.

Virtual sounds cool but I think the whole point in tying for a swap is to have fun tying up and receiving flies from other people.

Most boards simply have a pattern database if you want to upload pics of flies and recipes/tying instructions for any pattern you want. If you go to flytyingforum, they have multiple swaps monthly with 12 tyers and they just crank out flies like crazy.

I think having virtual contests might be a great idea though or a fly of the month sort of thing.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Darian/Jeff - The poor turnout for this month is likely THE WEATHER !! How long has everyone been fighting off the cabin-nutties ?? I know all I want to do is go out and play , figure most are out doing just that .

A "virtual fly swap" ??? Ya lost me on that one ..... do you mean , like , post photos of flies and not tye/receive any ?? Sorry ..... I'm not getting the point . Must be all the histamines in the air (and in my nose) .

David

Default Virtual Fly Swaps Format....

David,.... Virtual was meant that the flies tied by participants are submitted in photo form and displayed/posted on the BB..... I don't have a digital camera but could use a scanner to digitize an image for submission. I see this as an inconvenience but others may not. It means that a participant need only tie one fly. No trading of flies, etc.

Actually, I'm not really interested in changing the format. Just testing the waters.....

Hey guys! I like the idea of actually tying and receiving the flies rather than a virtual where you only tie one and post a picture without actually exchanging flies. Having said that, it would be nice, if it's feasible, to have pictures of who submitted what. I'm kind of guessing who tied the flies I received in the last swap and what pattern they are.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Perhaps when we submit our flies, have a note card that goes along with it that includes name, fly name, and materials/instructions. A standard format for this would probably be best. When all of the flies and cards are collected, take pictures and post them. Maybe collectively or individually, whatever works best. Then we can show the world how good (or bad) we are!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

I think the format we used in the Feb swap works just fine. Submitting photos of the flys for non-swappers to view should just generate more interest from the board. I also think that picking patterns for the local rivers that most of us fish would also generate more interest. A swap a month or so before the runs and hatches get going would seem a good thing. The caddis are going to get going on the American soon and the March Browns as well on the Yuba. A Shad fly swap would be good a month before the run starts should create some interest also. Just my opinion. I really enjoyed being in the Feb. swap. Just wish I were here for the BBQ!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

I like to hold flies in my hands and feel the materials. To me, that's better than simply looking at a picture.

After someone ties a dozen of one fly they will learn how to tie it better and faster than before.

Let's keep on tying up multiple flies.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Fly Swap Format

OK...... So far there's lots of support for maintaining the current format of tying and exchanging flies. I'm for letting whoever hosts the swaps having the final say about the choice of pattern for a particualr swap. Sorry guys, I'm not tying anything smaller than a #14 and my fly fishing interests go into many areas (not all related to trout.....)

I saw a couple of suggestions that're worth exploring. One was for a card that included the name of the tyer and a recipe/tying instructions for the pattern. I'm not sure printiing a number of cards to accompany the flies (1 for each fly) is practical but the information could easily be posted on the BB. Care to expand on this idea

The second was a "fly of the month"..... Not sure how we would decide what the fly of the month is, tho...... A photo of the this fly would be posted with the recipe, etc. Jeff, this one was from your thoughts. Got any further idea/information

I could make an MS Word document with all of the required information for the card idea. I wouldn't expect pre-printed cards to be sent out, that would be a hassle. Then we consolidate the MS Word docs and print them out. I could do this, or we could do it at Kiene's when we gather all the flies.

Here is another thought ... We already have a theme for the types of flies we are tying, why not have this and come up with a big list of possibilities, then we pick the one we want to tie. Of course we would always have the option to do our own (within the theme), but having a list to choose from would make it easier, at least for me, and may draw in others. Example, I was a bit lost this month and then someone suggested the Zoo Cougar. I looked it up on the Internet and it looked like what I wanted to do. I haven't done any hair spinning yet, so this was the perfect opportunity.

My 2 cents ... again
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast